what engine oil

Myself I only use a named brand fully synthetic 10W50. I choose to use this. But since been told its the best one to have, by a guy who repair's and rebuilds Subaru engines. And another who works with Oil's.  

Some other's might tell you what they use, or you can go to an Auto shop give them your reg they will be able to let you know what there computer tells them. But would always use a brand name and not Carlube like someone else I know, he's not had problems but would not trust it myself. I also use Blueprint filters :) but you can choose what you like I guess

ditto - fully synthetic 10W-50 - ensure it has a JASO or API standard conformance and you should be fine.

My Subaru manual gives quite a range of choice

1.5lt - 2.0lt

10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50, 5W-30, 0W-20 - with a recommendation of the 0W-20 - however I was advised that would be too light as when the engine is stopped it all runs straight to the sump any residual cooling effect is lost and on start up there is little in the way of lubrication.

2.5lt turbo

10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50, 5W-30 - with a recommendation for 5W-30