Calipers caput

Daryl

Morning gents, was replacing the pads on my 05 blobeye yesterday an discovered my calipers have seen better days, priced some reconditioned up for 250-300, i am a novice car wise, so what difficulty would this be to change myself an what would I need? Not sure if the hydraulic lines that connect to them will even come loose they look pretty well rusted but couldnt be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I noticed that on the drivers sid only one pad had been wearing looks like the 2 pots arent working. When I took it for a test it was like the brakes were slightly stuck on but freed up some is this normal for the first while?

Yeah its probably sticking its extremely common on the newage impreza for the fronts to stick if one of the piston boots rips and dirt gets in happened to me on my last wrx. Id check out god speed mate you can get new calipers discs and pads in a pack for about £300. They are copy calipers but work perfectly. Not to hard a job man basically 2 bolts hold the calipers on then swap line over to new caliper. Just need to watch the caliper nounting bolts havent seized on can be a nightmare to get it off

Nice one Rossco I'll look into that, as long as they're half decent👍 I'll probably hang on a bit before I swap em seem to be working fine at the moment took it for a spin today bedded in ok. So I take it I'd be just as well changing the brake fluid aswell eh? 

Depends mate if your brake fluid needs changed then go for it. Aw mate its a nightmare mines was sticking on the motorway really bad i think the sheer heat seized it in place. Maybe if you know someone with an impact driver that might get it off or try a wee smash mallet

6 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Nice one Rossco I'll look into that, as long as they're half decent👍 I'll probably hang on a bit before I swap em seem to be working fine at the moment took it for a spin today bedded in ok. So I take it I'd be just as well changing the brake fluid aswell eh? 

Yeah mate they work fine plus you get better discs and pads aswell

Probably could do with a swap on the fluid just wasnt sure if itd be avoidable, those hoses look a bit suspect aswell tbh not sure if they'll be easy to get off the caliper either,  I have an impact I could give it a blast with must be a fancy socket ya can get for the job though? 

5 hours ago, Daryl said:

Bit off topic but anyone know what these new road tax rules are gonna mean for us lot?

Just looked into it there mate hard to tell until they “accurately” test our cars but it looks like it might go up a band like the 2.5’s so like £550 or summit 😡😩

Ouch that's gonna sting If that's the case what about dirty diesels they're worse arent they🙄, fingers crossed its it's not the case.. ffs love the motor but 550 mind you its once a yr wonder if the 2.5s will go up aswell then