how to turn off the alarm sound

I have a bit of a problem - the alarm on my 07MY Forester is going off apparently randomly once or twice a day.

Going by the LED codes it's the 'tilt sensor' that the car seems to think is setting it off (and I'm pretty sure there's no legitimate cause)

I can't get a service appointment for a couple of weeks, so in the meantime, to avoid annoying the neighbours and me:

1. Is there any way to lock the car without automatically arming the alarm ?  You would think so but locking just with the key (i.e.not using the remote) doesn't seem to be possible - it still seems to arm the whole system

OR

2. Is there any way to set the alarm to 'flash only' i.e. no sound.

I think I've answered my own query.

Although it never used to work this way, I now find that locking the drivers door with the key will indeed leave the alarm switched off. (maybe it was a previous car I was thinking of)

Problem solved..

• 2 months later...

It’s a bit late forgive me but I am new 😄 

Alternatively if you open up the alarm siren box inside the engine bay you can disconnect the siren itself, it’s usually a 3 wire or 2 wire plug in connection, my sigma is a 2 wire, standard live and ground.

That way you can still use your fob to activate the central locking and your repeaters will still flash when the alarm is triggered. My alarm was not making any noises and it turned out to be a dead siren speaker.

Thanks for the tip - my big difficulty now is keeping the Battery charged enough to start the car.

AA man suggested run at idle for 10 minutes twice a week, but there's been a few worrying times when the starter only just turns. ( and by the way it's a fairly new battery)

My wife's Suzuki on the other hand only needs running once a week to keep the Battery going

• 1 month later...

Maybe a trickle charger set up ?

My Impreza was only used as a street cruiser maybe twice a month, once a week I would attach my trickle charger to the Battery, I have an outside waterproof plug set up outside my garage, the charger is small enough to fit under the bonnet with it closed too, put it on at night, disconnect when I left for work in the morning, I did it on Thursday night to Friday morning as that’s when my bins go out so I never forgot about it.

Would you believe I've had no more problems (well not the alarm anyway) since end of October.

I have had Battery problems as indicated above - does the alarm sound if it detects a voltage drop maybe ?

Car Battery failing or parasitic draw can sound alarm, we come across this quite frequent this time of year with zero or below cold snaps being final straw to cause owners do something about it .
remember doing one on a forester last year boxing day, Battery was spanked and they persisted with alarm issues and odd no start until it total no start and dash display locked in safe mode due to irregular voltage values .

The rechargeable Battery in the siren housing failing can cause alarm sound too, this can be replaced but you need know how do this as first attempt you likely ruin the siren assembly .