Ulysses

Hi,

I don't currently own a Subaru but am trying to decide whether or not to buy a 2019 Outback at the moment (heart says yes, head is a bit concerned about running costs & depreciation but especially about potential big bills).  I had a Legacy diesel for four happy years from 2008 and only sold it because the crankshaft issue that affected them was becoming a bit of a worry and I thought it wise to trade it in while it was going well.  I'm hoping that the Outback will be a good option but have seen some worrying mention of CVT issues.  Finding out more about those issues will probably sway me one way or the other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, Ulysses said:

I'm hoping that the Outback will be a good option but have seen some worrying mention of CVT issues.  Finding out more about those issues will probably sway me one way or the other.

There were some CVT reliability issues on earlier generation Outbacks, but very few post 2017. It's a very good transmission, a lot of the scare stories are perpetuated by people trying to sell extended warranties. There are plenty of people who still believe that all Subarus have head gasket issues, even though they were sorted over a decade ago. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2019 Outback.

• Like 1

Thanks @Jay762 and @flat6.  I've my eye on two, one 2018 and one 2019 with the 2019 feeling a lot fresher.  I looked at a couple of older ones but they seemed to have had hard lives and I like things like Apple CarPlay/Android Auto on the newer models.  There isn't a large selection of used Outbacks in Ireland and a lot of them seem to have been very well used.  The 2019 one that I looked at has three years manufacturer's warranty left but I'd like this one to be a keeper so it's good to know that the CVT is likely to last.  I don't intend towing with it so it should have a relatively easy life.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Like 1