Windscreen replacement and Eyesight recalibration

Justin Time

Following reading a thread about this on the US subaruoutback.org website, and the need to have Eyesight re-calibrated, I checked Autoglass' website to see what they had to say about it.

Autoglass have an ADAS calibration video on Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmZbeDLPWc&t=88s    explaining how they go about it.    I was interested to note that they recommend a full tank of fuel and removing items from the boot when they do the re-calibration.  To keep the vehicle level presumably.  Elsewhere on the sight there was reference to having the system re-calibrated every time a tyre is changed or the suspension altered (££££££££££££!!).  Like that's going to happen!

Got me thinking.  I've put a OE alloy spare wheel and tyre in my boot, and it's also stocked with emergency kit (spare outdoor clothes, tools for simple car maintenance, etc.) as I spend a lot of time out in the 'wilds'.  I also drive with a fair bit of equestrian tack - saddles, reins and equine food stuff -  which also can be weighty.  This extra weight must already impact upon the car's Eyesight system.  So, I wonder how much 'leeway' Subaru would have programmed into their Eyesight system to account for this (it is an estate, afterall).  If there's a fair bit of leeway, then presumably Eyesight re-calibration can't be too precise? 

Anyone have any experience of windscreen replacement on a vehicle with Eyesight?

I had the misfortune to require a windscreen in a brand new Lexus loan car a couple of years ago. The independent windscreen guy told me that if a proper oe windscreen is fitted by someone who knows their stuff there should be no need to recalibrate these modern driving aids. 

Suspect then the,'Big Boys' use this as an excuse to make money.