Newbie just saying hi

ben.johnson543

Hi all just wanting to say hi I am new to the club scene. I have an R reg impreza wagon sport running on lpg. Just wondering if anyone else is running lpg and if there are any issues I should look out for or recomendations for places to get work done etc. cheers speak to you all soon

Wotcha and welcome Ben -

Not too familiar with LPG but a fellow member (Bouncer) has a few issues with a rather neglected sport wagon - check for rust around the back end, subframes and wheel arches also corrosion / seizure of brake caliper bleed nipples.

welcome aboard, a mate of mine had a golf running LPG, he bought it already fitted and said he could smell an eggy smell when he was using it, he tried to use the petrol side of the conversion as much as possible and ended up getting rid within a year, i don't know if that's common or just his bad experience, he also said it was half the price to fill up with gas than petrol but it used twice as much when running it so worked out a marginal difference

Cheers guys no not noticed any difference really apart from being a lot cheaper to run. I had heard about lpg conversions running hot so bought a scoop and 2 vents just nervous about cutting hole's in my bonnet. Been considering front mount oil cooler but not sure it's worth the money. Also got a bit of rust bobbling above the windscreen and both rear arches not sure on the best course of action any suggestions? Cheers folks

You have got it in the common rust problem area's on all Subaru's :(

Only real way to solve it is by getting it taken out and respray. And I know what you mean about cutting the holes in your car I would watch some youtube videos make sure you measure it straight, mask it all off to not chip the paint and then attack :) Video here little more savage then how I would do it but gives you an idea ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MuBN1fLKPA

A front mounted oil cooler looks cool in my opinion but you can run oil too cool which can cause it's own issues so I'd look into that a bit more, would it not be easier/cheaper to buy a turbo bonnet? UK turbos have steel bonnets so not as expensive as the ally ones