2018 Forester 2.0XT vs 2.0 XE

Nicola

Hello everyone! We are about to purchase a 2018 Forester but are going around in circles choosing between XT/XE.  Could anyone please add any pros and cons, obviously fuel consumption but does it cost any more to service the XT and are they more unreliable being driven on short work journeys. 
thank you in advance

17 hours ago, Nicola said:

Hello everyone! We are about to purchase a 2018 Forester but are going around in circles choosing between XT/XE.  Could anyone please add any pros and cons, obviously fuel consumption but does it cost any more to service the XT and are they more unreliable being driven on short work journeys. 
thank you in advance

I can only answer part of your question (i think) , but according to my Subaru warranties and servicing booklet, all turbo engines Subarus have a 12 month or 10,000 mile (which ever is sooner) interval, while the naturally aspirated ones have a 12 month or 12,000 miles interval.  So that would suggest the XT is more expensive to service than the XE, if you do 10,000 or plus miles a year?  Other factors might come into play too, but I'll let the forum experts provide those.

• Thanks 1

Cheers JT and thank you for taking the time to reply, we will probably do a lot less than 10,000 miles so I guess servicing would be the same. What would the other factors be? I’d be grateful to hear any other opinions.  

We just want to get the best petrol car we can afford before EVs take over. 
For similar priced vehicles:

2018 2.0XT 18,000

or

2020 2.0i XE 11,000 

It’s a  heart vs head moment!

9 hours ago, Nicola said:

Cheers JT and thank you for taking the time to reply, we will probably do a lot less than 10,000 miles so I guess servicing would be the same. What would the other factors be? I’d be grateful to hear any other opinions.  

We just want to get the best petrol car we can afford before EVs take over. 
For similar priced vehicles:

2018 2.0XT 18,000

or

2020 2.0i XE 11,000 

It’s a  heart vs head moment!

It might be worth posting your question on here https://www.subaruforester.org/    as the Forester is a very popular car in the US, certainly compared to the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 2018 xt back in February with 18,000 miles, just had its 3rd service 22,000 and first mot at dealer £500. Great car and averaging 30mpg but that is around town, on a trip to France was getting about 37mpg. Not bad for a quick 4x4 estate car and £155 road tax. Very pleased with it at present, cvt seemed strange at first as  nothing similar too auto. 

10 minutes ago, Richardw said:

Bought a 2018 xt back in February with 18,000 miles, just had its 3rd service 22,000 and first mot at dealer £500. Great car and averaging 30mpg but that is around town, on a trip to France was getting about 37mpg. Not bad for a quick 4x4 estate car and £155 road tax. Very pleased with it at present, cvt seemed strange at first as  nothing similar too auto. 

Great to hear you're enjoying the car Richard.  How is the cvt different from other autos to drive ?  I ask as I've only driven a cvt auto (well, apart from a 15 min test drive of a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport auto around a ring-road so too brief to really notice). 

Mainly had manual diesel 4x4 and have driven loads of normal AT cars along with DSG gearbox cars. Don’t feel any gear change obviously as cvt, low revs in I mode but when pushed revs high with continuous speed. Sports mode increased throttle response but same as I mode, sharp simulates 8 gears but still takes some getting used to as nothing like a DSG or auto. Not complaining as it’s fast and smooth just different. Don’t go in sharp mode a lot as it is a bit quick holding gears longer. For an SUV surprises a few at the lights & myself when needed.