Subaru noob looking for advice.

Chas70

Good afternoon all. Looking at buying my first Subaru and thought where would be the best place to get advice on what to look out for. An owners club forum of course! 

It's a Forester 2ltr D, XSN. On a 09 plate, 96000 miles. 

I'd appreciate any help /advice offered. 

Thanks, Chas. 

Best advice is avoid diesel .
up to 2013 was the worst for boxer diesel but any modern era diesel is potential high maintenance so only buy diesels when it actually truly needed benefit .

Don't overlook older vehicles, most of the best made high reliability is late 90's to 2005 era.
80% of my workload is new garbage electrical and emission systems and none of it cheap and many times owners already blown serious money and still got same faults and they at wits end with almost empty bank accounts lol .

• 2 months later...

Well I bit the bullet and got the fozzy as detailed in my post. So far the rear diff temp dash light is intermittently on/off but mainly on, even from cold so it's probably a wiring /sensor fault. 

The DPF light was on so took it to Carnetix in Melton who were great and said it's an oil dilution problem so I need to get my !Removed! in gear and change the oil. 

The sat nav will not recognise uk postcodes so I assume the dvd needs updating, only problem is that the screen will not tilt to give access to the discs! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Other than that, enjoying it 😁😁😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, Chas70 said:

The sat nav will not recognise uk postcodes so I assume the dvd needs updating, only problem is that the screen will not tilt to give access to the discs! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Other than that, enjoying it 😁😁😁

What head unit do you have - can you post a photo as I may be able to help with that

• 2 months later...

Ok apologies for the delayed reponse,

Here are some instructions which may work

Try pressing the top right hand corner of the screen for 5 plus seconds, that should kick in the eject process for the dvd and tilt the screen in the process.

Also this may be useful

Hidden menu:

1. Turn key to on position

2. Press "Agree"

3. Press the "Audio" button

4. Press the volume knob (right side - Audio off)

5. The screen should be blank apart from "Audio off" at the top

6. Tap the left side of the screen, then tap the right. Repeat 6 times

The hidden menu should now show up