Silly question

ozdawg

Alright silly question, and my apologies if I insult, upset anyone. Recently I was offered two Subaru Ourbacks, a 2013 and I believe a 2015. Both are pretty much the top of the line with assorted options. They were build to order.

We got the 2013 for the price of a belt replacement ($900). Otherwise the car is in great shape, 68k miles, well maintained and minor dings and dents normal to a 9 year old car. My son got that one.

A few months ago the same family offered a 2015(?) Subaru Outback, we are waiting on their build to order car coming from Asia (with COVID, parts, shipping, etc it is taking an exceptionally long time. 

The 2015 is probably something similar (if not better, since this is the Dad's car).

Here is the silly part. I own a 2015 Kia Soul Mid level with 70k, and pretty much all the options I want (except moonroof), which I really like. BUT after driving the 2013 I realized the difference in driving experience, acceleration in highway, braking, and just better handling and ride comfort (mileage is mostly highway, say 80%). 

The Kia has cost me zero in extra repairs, just typical regular and scheduled maintanance. And as stated I enjoy driving it (6'3" 300lbs). Again, but, the 2013 Subaru was a fair step up in quality ride. 

Repairs, maintenance on these cars, easy, hard, cheap, expensive? My only other experience was a Tribeca, special Wiper Blades, parts were a bear, repairs were almost always a hassle. Though when it was running it was awesome.

Because I know it will come up, the price will probably be about three times the 2013 price. 

So how are repair/maintenance prices? I try and do as much maintanance myself, of my local garage (of 20 years)  If they are silly stupid like the Tribeca, I will sell it local, and stick with the Soul. The 2013 has been wonderful so far, for my son (as his previous car was totaled).

So for a long term mostly highway daily driver, Soul or Outback?

Thanks in advance.

Running costs wise i doubt it will be much more than any other compartive car (assuming its not a lemon of course). Reputation of subarus being expensive to run tends to be based on the high power turbo models being tuned to the point of going bang, only real excpetion is the 2.5 turbo which tends to let go if you look at it the wrong way. Typicly they are very reliable without the turbo. Very good in all weather conditions and being AWD are great for winter. Only issue i see you might find is the MPG, which subarus tend to be pretty pants on even in none turbo form.