Boxer to e-Boxer

Hi all,

2nd week of ownership of new e-Boxer Premium XV, part exchanged the 2018 XV Premium.

So far all good, in fact very good.

The ride appears to be smoother, according to Mrs.

Change from e-Boxer to standard Boxer drive train is fine no hassle

Paintwork is first rate (Horizon Blue) I had noticed a few minor blemishes on the original car (Pearl White).

However if the new is as reliable as the old I will be more than satisfied.

S&S Services of Ayr, my new Dealership, were superb.

Chlles

Bought my XV e-Boxer in October 2022 and am delighted with it, although its driving characteristics take a bit of getting used to. Recently completed a 400 miles round trip mostly on motorways and fast dual carriageways. I set it on cruise control, 65 mph for just about the whole journey. The 200 miles return leg indicated 47.1 mpg which I could closely verify by my own fuel-filling/odometer records.

This is my 3rd XV, 1 Forester and 1 Impreza STi.

I just wish for convenience, Subaru would design a dash cam into one of the installed cameras.

• 7 months later...

Having made the same switch, from conventional to e-Boxer XV in Oct '22 I am pleased with my decision after some 5000 miles. Average fuel improvement is much greater than pundit reviews have suggested.

Two improvements that I would recommend to Subaru.

1. With so many cameras now installed, why not use one for integrated dash cam recording?

2. When the management system decides it is appropriate to switch from EV mode to IC engine, at low road speed, could the switch be 'softened'. I can imagine the jerk putting off some drivers. The switch cannot be felt at higher road speeds. It's also a surprise that having coasted to stop in a car park in EV mode, just as I select Park the IC engine fires up - can't see the purpose or necessity since I am about to exit the vehicle?

Bought from and serviced by Colin Appleyard, Huddersfield UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm going to try a 2022 XV e boxer tomorrow to replace my 2019 XV 2.0 SE. I understand from the dealer that the mpg meter in the car isn't sophisticated to cope with the electrical input. Fortunnately I always us an app on my phone so will be interested to see how it pans out if I decide to purchse. The car I am intending to buy is a premium with only 8,000 miles the price to change is extremely tempting and works out at my car having only lost just over £3,000 in 3 years and 26,000 miles. With a big service due next month I thought the £740 might better be used in the purchase of another car especially as I was told last service it might need rear brakes at £600 . Last service and MOT was £1200 as front brake pads and discs were changed.`

Well I bit the bullet and purchased a 2022 xv eboxer premium to replace my 2019 xv SE. In addition to the wonderful deal I managed to get next years service thrown in to boot. Picking the car up hopefully on Wednesday.

I don't believe you will be dissatisfied but let us know what you think.

I've also now found need to use the X-Drive in snow. I've climbed up and driven down quite a steep incline outside my house with ease, while I have watched others spin wheels and get no where in the up direction. 

I understand from the dealer that the mpg meter in the car isn't sophisticated to cope with the electrical input. 

I'm not sure what was your interest or the dealer's response in this regard.

In relation to petrol consumption and prediction of remaining mileage, the fuel gauge is very accurate in my experience.

Since it isn't possible to choose/force electrical power only, in this specific regard the fuel gauge is irrelevant. The drive Battery just extends the driven mileage. 

Well I've now had my eboxer for 2 days. Beautifully prepared by the dealer and because I was concerned that there might be a 12 volt Battery issue as the car had been there for some time they replaced the 12 volt Battery that powers all the ancilleries with a new one.

The difference in the performance and driveability is amazing. My car is a 2022 model so has the revised suspension . It is running currently on Bridgestone Dueler Summer tyres, but I just don't like them. They never felt very secure to me especially on a wet road. I've had them on my last XV (replaced with Crossclimates  within a week) and 2 Lexus previously and I don't think they are a particularly great product.

I've ordered a set of Michelin crossclimate 2's in 102v rating (same as last xv) and they're being fitted on Monday by my local independent tyre Dealer (£600 fitted).

Some people might think it is crazy to ditch a set of tyres which have only done 8,500 miles but I jwould rather enjoy the car riding on decent all season rubber.

The big difference I notice with the new car is how smooth the cvt changes are and also the car is nowhere near as loud when you floor the throttle.

Glad you like it (apart from the tyres).

You reflect my opinion (apart from the tyres). I have stuck with Bridgestones thro' an Impreza STi UK Spec D, Forester, XV, Levorg, another XV and now the e-XV.

Only one tyre problem on the Impreza and that was with a brand new tyre which caused the car to pull hard right when I floored it. A problem tyre was exchanged via Kwick-fit, after much investigation and experimentation. 

Some pundits have described the CVT transmission as 'peculiar'. I think it brilliant, whether in auto or manual. Choose the right revs and each change is imperceptible and quick. In Sport mode the additional boost is great. But wait until your Michelins have been fitted if you are unhappy with Bridgestones. 

Then enjoy.

Check with your dealer that all recalls have been completed - twice on ignition coils and once on rear suspension bolts coming loose (mine is a 2022 model too).

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 11:43 AM, David-B said:

Having made the same switch, from conventional to e-Boxer XV in Oct '22 I am pleased with my decision after some 5000 miles. Average fuel improvement is much greater than pundit reviews have suggested.

Two improvements that I would recommend to Subaru.

1. With so many cameras now installed, why not use one for integrated dash cam recording?

2. When the management system decides it is appropriate to switch from EV mode to IC engine, at low road speed, could the switch be 'softened'. I can imagine the jerk putting off some drivers. The switch cannot be felt at higher road speeds. It's also a surprise that having coasted to stop in a car park in EV mode, just as I select Park the IC engine fires up - can't see the purpose or necessity since I am about to exit the vehicle?

Bought from and serviced by Colin Appleyard, Huddersfield UK.

I agree with your comment regarding switching from ev to engine at low speeds are not as seamless as at higher speeds.  Hopefully a software update will be forthcoming to fix this issue.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:55 PM, David-B said:

Glad you like it (apart from the tyres).

You reflect my opinion (apart from the tyres). I have stuck with Bridgestones thro' an Impreza STi UK Spec D, Forester, XV, Levorg, another XV and now the e-XV.

Only one tyre problem on the Impreza and that was with a brand new tyre which caused the car to pull hard right when I floored it. A problem tyre was exchanged via Kwick-fit, after much investigation and experimentation. 

Some pundits have described the CVT transmission as 'peculiar'. I think it brilliant, whether in auto or manual. Choose the right revs and each change is imperceptible and quick. In Sport mode the additional boost is great. But wait until your Michelins have been fitted if you are unhappy with Bridgestones. 

Then enjoy.

Check with your dealer that all recalls have been completed - twice on ignition coils and once on rear suspension bolts coming loose (mine is a 2022 model too).

My previous 2019 XV petrol had the 3 recalls you mention and I checked for recalls on the eboxer before purchase . No recalls mentioned which seems correct as the suspension recall and 2nd coil recall were done in 2021 on my previous car and   having just looked at a list of recalls for XV the affected cars  were manufactured before the 1st October 2019 so don't understand why your car was subject of recall. Have you got the certificates showing the recall actions were complete ?

You are correct but it is always wise to ask the question at a point of crossover - recalls in 2021; new purchase in 2022 - unwise to assume just when a vehicle came out of the factory. 

No I don't have the certificates. These went with the ICE XV at trade-in for the e-Boxer XV.