Rev counter incorrect (Forester XTen 2007)

Hi folks,

I've got a slightly odd issue here, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it. Searching the forums doesn't yield any related posts, as far as I can see.

I have a 2007 Forester XTen. I've had it for a couple of months now. Replaced a propshaft and a coil pack, and all good - except for one thing: The rev counter reports high. As soon as the ignition comes on (last click before starting), it jumps from 0 to about 500rpm (before the engine has even turned over). On idle, it reports about 1500rpm, and it stays high like that all the time.

At first, I thought it was hesitant under load (especially uphill) - but what was actually happening was that I was asking it to produce more torque than it was capable of producing - because I was looking at (for instance) 2000rpm and thinking 'you should be pulling by now' and it wasn't. Of course, it was actually barely above idle at that point ...

Now that I know what's happening, it's fine - but it's still irritating.

Anyone else seen this?

Possibly relevant - a couple of owners ago, it had a remap by Slowboy Racing in Kent. In theory, it puts down about 25% more BHP than stock (and it does pull like a champ when the power band kicks in). My Subaru guy doesn't think that's relevant, though.

Scratching my head over this one. Any pointers/suggestions gratefully received!