Head lights

Chris Turner

3 hours ago, Greenmamba said:

What's wrong with the current ones? If cloudy, just polish them.

Yes I have had them polished, but the problem is inside, sort of cracking in the lens, I think it is from the heat of the HiD lights.

One of the lads on my landcruiser forum found perfect new lenses cheaply from Ali Express (take a fair time to arrive), these required heating the complete headlights in the oven (probably when the Mrs is out 😇 ) so the glue around the lens melts, then he peeled the old ones off cleaned things up and somehow stuck the new lenses on.   Haven't a clue if new lenses are available for our cars but might be worth a scout around on Ali.

New genuine headlights will probably be very expensive, one of the lads (L'cruiser again) had found aftermarket units available from the usual places branded Depo, he rated them as perfect copies.

New aftermarket lamps on Autodoc, unsure if the correct LH dip though.

Don't know if any of that helps.

Thank you very much, 👍

to be honest I did look on YouTube and watched it being done and then sealing them, all looked a bit dodgy 🙃. so decided to buy from Subaru, I’ll let you know how it goes. Yes expensive and don’t tell the Mrs. Need to take out a mortgage 😂😂😂😂

All the best Chris 

Do we have any Forester (SG5) meetings planned? ?

You're not alone, my daughter came around with her Civic with these HiD lights, the lenses should polish up ok for another couple of years but sooner or later she'll be needing new lights too,like yours they're crazing inside the lens, those D2R bulbs are £32 ish each for Philips on Amazon, from Honda £125 each!

She has another Civic with full LED lights, daren't even look the price of those up, colleague of mine has a BMW with smart LED headlights circa £3000 a side he says.

Can't wait till they force us (in their dreams) into electric cars where every single light is an LED sealed unit, somehow methinks not meant for us plebs, we'll be on a  pushbike where they think we belong.

4 minutes ago, Judd said:

You're not alone, my daughter came around with her Civic with these HiD lights, the lenses should polish up ok for another couple of years but sooner or later she'll be needing new lights too,like yours they're crazing inside the lens, those D2R bulbs are £32 ish each for Philips on Amazon, from Honda £125 each!

She has another Civic with full LED lights, daren't even look the price of those up, colleague of mine has a BMW with smart LED headlights circa £3000 a side he says.

Can't wait till they force us (in their dreams) into electric cars where every single light is an LED sealed unit, somehow methinks not meant for us plebs, we'll be on a  pushbike where they think we belong.

Yes I think we have got to enjoy these Petrol engine cars while we can 😊

Especially FORESTER CROSS SPORTS JDM’s just love the sound with a Mid Sport exhaust.

I’m going to, love it.

2 minutes ago, Chris Turner said:

Yes I think we have got to enjoy these Petrol engine cars while we can 😊

Especially FORESTER CROSS SPORTS JDM’s just love the sound with a Mid Sport exhaust.

I’m going to, love it.

This is my Third Forester and the JDM’s are the best, got it November From Torque GT. (Great company).

Have done quite a bit on the car, Pioneer head unit with reverse camera and sub woofer. Total under seal, New front strut brace, new Peddars suspension lowering it, new cat rear box mid Sport from MIG in Birmingham (they make them to your requirements (brilliant).

New badges all round, they are expensive, but what isn’t these days.

Anyway great chatting to you

Chris 

An MIJ Walsall exhaust is on the present XT, they also made and fitted one on our previous H6 Outback.

In both cases there was no correct aftermarket item available despite being described as such.  The Outback had a by-pass fitted to one of the OE silencers allowing the exhaust to free flow past that silencer once a certain flow rate had been exceeded, i'd never seen one of those before, in the case of the XT the OE system is 2.5" bore, despite being described as suitable for XT the typical aftermarket systems are 2" and are meant for the 2.0NA engines which would strangle the 2.5 turbo engine, hence why custom made stainless was the only solution for both, i wasn't going OE from the parts dept, Outback OE was well into 4 figures for a car which cost me less than a new exhaust would have from the dealer, daren't ask the cost of a new XT system value my ageing ticker too much.

With unusual cars like Subarus, i don't think there's any bad points to having a JDM grey import, they're all expensive for genuine parts, the beauty of JDM is you start with a clean corrosion free car underneath even if its 10 or more years old and it's no secret that Japanese cars owners generally take more care of their cars than the typical Brit new car buyer/user, sadly our XT is UK stock hence looking forward to the £620 VED bill next month, not a typo we get a huge discount of £10 cos dual fuel 😁

MY 2008 Legacy has these bullseye LED (?) lamps. Apparently there is a Power Pack(?) for them Apparently mine has got wet in the past & works when it thinks it will...Maybe it will work in the summer! 
Is there anyone here who understands the set up is on these lights? Or who can explain them in layman's terms?...It surely cannot be necessary to spend SO much to make a Bl###dy Headlamp work. I have a friend who rebuilds huge pre-war lamps and they are cheap in comparison. 

Bah Humbug! Progress or what?

9 hours ago, David,H said:

MY 2008 Legacy has these bullseye LED (?) lamps. Apparently there is a Power Pack(?) for them Apparently mine has got wet in the past & works when it thinks it will...Maybe it will work in the summer! 
Is there anyone here who understands the set up is on these lights? Or who can explain them in layman's terms?...It surely cannot be necessary to spend SO much to make a Bl###dy Headlamp work. I have a friend who rebuilds huge pre-war lamps and they are cheap in comparison. 

Bah Humbug! Progress or what?

Hi Dave,

yes these are a pain, I had this issue with a forester. Mine were at the bottom of the head lights so if water gets in there are swimming in it. I had to buy a power unit, but the thing is to stop the water getting in and seal the head light and not use a pressure washer on them when cleaning the car.

you could try getting the power pack out and drying it out in the oven low temperature before buying new. Of course check on eBay.

All the best

Chris 

Thanks Chris... I will have a look when I can...more pressing is trying to get the keys to talk to the immobiliser. Have to use the security pad number every time at the moment! See other long post/rant

22 minutes ago, David,H said:

Thanks Chris... I will have a look when I can...more pressing is trying to get the keys to talk to the immobiliser. Have to use the security pad number every time at the moment! See other long post/rant

Yes that what I hate about uk cars, I have JDM car much simpler system, I think you have to have it disconnected and a aftermarket one fitted.

That’s what my Father’s car has been converted too.

Pain I know how you feel 

All the best Chris