P1710 code (Turbine Speed Sensor 2 failure) on Exiga GT

hanman

Not much info on the internet with regards to the dreaded P1710 code failure (on our Exiga cars), which is linked to Turbine Speed Sensor 2.. My 2008 Exiga GT had this issue a few months ago.

Symptoms

- Massive lunge/crunch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear - like another car has rear ended you.. 

- CEL coming on

- Red ATOil (high temp) light coming on

The Sensor 2 issue seems to be a common occurrence across the Subaru range from this time.. Legacy/Forester forums refer to this quite abit. I can confirm that the same applies to our Exiga cars.

The part can be purchased quite easily from Ebay/Amazon but the labour required to fit will cost much more unless you can do it yourself. There is no part number as the sensor needs to be spliced into the harness on top of the valve body. simply search for "Subaru Turbine Speed Sensor 2". the sensor sits on top of the valve body so it needs to be removed from the car before replacing and soldering into place.

I've just had my sensor replaced by a competent local mechanic and I can confirm it 100% fixes the issue (thank god 😀 )

pics provided by the garage that did the work.

IMG-20230216-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20230215-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230215-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230215-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230215-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230216-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230216-WA0002.jpg

• 6 months later...

Ah yes I had the same problem as that on my 2008 Exiga, I bought the sensor from eBay (after ages of searching) and managed to fit it myself. It fixed the problem but now I have "AT temp" light flashing non stop, even on cold start. I tried resetting the TCU and also cleared the old fault code (which no longer shows after 2 years). Maybe I got some oil inside the connection inside the sump where the valve body is, and it is shorting somehow. Any ideas how to fix this?