Subaru Forester P2444 Code Problem

Hello all 

I have an Engine warning light on my 2011 Forester (2.0 Petrol 150kW). The OBD2 is states: P2444 “Air System Pump Stuck on Bank 1”

Some research suggests that the fault is with a “Secondary air system pump”

I have been attempting to source an aftermarket replacement, but am struggling with the part number…..

A lengthy google suggests: part number: 14828aa050 but refers to a 2.5litre vehicle (but I used a us part checking service and they don’t seem to have sold 2.0 models there!).

Also, I wonder if the original can be easily removed and reconditioned? 

Can anyone assist? 

Thanks in advance! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have owned Forester's since they first arrived in this  country. Throughout the years, warning lights have been a bane. One morning recently, I went out to the 2004 Forester XLN and the key would not unlock the car. Opened said car with the key manually put key in ignition and all the lights on  the dashboard came on as usual, but not the starter motor.

So, fully charged the Battery in situ but uncoupled. Put a new Battery in the key. Followed up - after battery  had fully recharged - by using the key in the usual manner. . Car started immediately and the warning light went off. and stayed off for some100 miles before coming on again. My reaction is that I will continue driving the car until  July when it goes in for an MOT and get the warning light sorted.

Thanks Tony

Interesting! I think there may be a key resetting procedure…..I will look it up and repost if I can find it….

I’ve had some issues operating the 1 button remote. 1 push and it always unlocks the drivers side 2nd push locks all doors, holding the button down I think is supposed to unlock all doors but this is at best random! Not worried as I just unlock using the button on the drivers side door…..

I will try and change the pump if I can find the right part at the right price and see where I get! 

kind regards 

Stephen 

• 9 months later...

Not sure how StephenH's post got changed to talking about key problems, but...

My 2006 Forester has the Check Engine light on, and "Cruise" flashing.

It was showing various codes on the OBD and having cleared them, the recurring one is P2444 "Secondary Air Injection System Pump Stuck On Bank 1".  Seeing other posts on this, especially in the USA, I'm not interested in removing the system and blanking it off - I want to fix it!

I tried to remove the top of the air pump, but it's stuck fast, so I removed the output pipe and on turning on the ignition there's a draft coming out of the pump, but it's not very strong (no idea how strong it should be).  On starting the engine, with the pipe disconnected, there's no exhaust coming out of it, and the pump stops after a short time.

Reconnecting the pipe and disconnecting the connector to the nearside valve (the one with 5 connections) changes the error code to P2433 "Secondary Air Injection System Air Flow/Press Sensor Circ High Bank 1" - which makes sense as it's resistance is certainly high when disconnected!

So I want to know what people thing of the above diagnostics - does the lack of exhaust from the disconnected pipe mean both valves are stuck closed, or would the system not open them in the absence of pressure, if the pump is too weak?  How strong should be the air flow from the pump?

Anything else I can do to home in on the culprit?  I can get a new pump for about a hundred quid, but I'm running out of pre-MOT time if that's not the fix.

Thoughts?

OK, further testing...

I connected 12V to each of the valve solenoids (lower two pins on the nearside one, the only two on the other) and you can distinctly hear Clunks when connecting and disconnecting the voltage - different noise on connection and disconnection - so I'm pretty confident that the valves are opening and closing when they should.

Which leaves the pump - I believe it's not producing enough pressure, given that people say it's noisy (mine isn't) and the air flow coming out of it is pretty puny, so I've ordered a replacement.  Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Howard

Hi Howard - just picked this thread up. Fingers crossed it’s the secondary air pump.

Just out of interest, I resolved my original issue ‘air system pump stuck bank 1……and later bank 0’. 

Can’t quite understand why but a switch to super unleaded over a period of a couple of weeks removed the issue with the stuck valves and no issues with the pump. It seems that my particular variant does not like E10 despite being ‘compatible’. 

I thought it might be a short term fix, so sought some new valves (not easy or cheap to get in the uk……cheapest i found was direct from Japan). I have never needed to buy them as the super unleaded still seems to be working. Given the issue was June last year…..and still seems to be ok, i will hold out until the MOT later this month and see what happens! I am not doing too much mileage so it is ok, but running on it super is not the best value!

Anyway hope you get yours sorted out!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, I've never heard of the petrol issue with this.  I know Ethanol is hydrophilic (absorbs water) but I'm surprised it would get to those valves in the exhaust.

My pump should be here mid week, so hopefully I'll be set then.  MOT is due in three weeks, and I know it won't pass with the Check Engine light on, so it will be a bit of a panic if the pump doesn't cure it.  Surprisingly AliExpress sell the valves for  a tad under two hundred quid for the pair, but with any luck they won't be needed. 

Cheers,

Howard

Drat!

New pump arrived, I fitted it (with the obligatory nut dropped, never to be seen again - luckily I had them in stock).

Pump is clearly working, with a loud noise which stops after about 15 seconds or so.

Clearing the code and starting the engine, the Check Engine and flashing Cruise lights return after about 15 seconds, and the P2444 code is back.

Clearly the pump isn't stuck on as the code says, so what could be the actual problem?

I'm getting really fed up with this, especially with the MOT approaching!

Sorry to say it could be one or both of the secondary air valves?! If you replace those there can’t be much else to replace on the system…..

My local independent has a page on the subject…..not sure if it helps though as I think you have tried most?! 

http://www.subaru4you.co.uk/engine/secondaryair.shtml#:~:text=The secondary air is supplied,Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV).

Regards 

Stephen