Glow Plug problems on diesel engine

DaveMc

Well I'm hoping all is resolved too, sometimes you just have to take a punt.

Maybe that's why you only see the dicky ones, maybe they've solved it, I couldn't see loads of people banging on about it on the Internet except with the older engines.

My wife has one too but she had an ex demo, she's had an issue with it coming up the engine, above and below the piston rings, on the exhaust manifold and valves and even on the inlet manifold and throttle body which I thought was odd, DPF was fine though didn't even need a regen and hadn't done more regents than should be expected. Never got a straight answer though from the dealer, just that it should be ok. I would have thought of it was coming up that bad that it was starting to affect the running of the car it would be clogging the DPF?

But that could be just my limited knowledge. Not sure how you'd get coming below the piston rings and in the throttle body, her cars only done 20k but it's a 2013 model, dealer repaired all under warranty but they don't know (or won't say what the issue was).

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Dogconker,

I don't think simply because there seems to be no problems since 2012 is reassuring.  My Forester was 4 years old before the problem struck which means that it could be 2016 before the 2012 models hit problems.

I'm at the stage now that whilst I really like the car I'm worried that another glowplug will go and I've got to go through another potentially expensive repair again.  I'm tempted to revert to petrol engines but the non turbo is underpowered for towing a rally car on trailer and the turbo drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion.  I'm not convinced that they've got it sorted yet in the newer diesels and may have to look to a Toyota instead!

I hear what your saying but it wasn't the case that every car that had the problem was 4 yrs old like yours, most were much younger. I'm not being unreasonably defensive of the diesel but from the experience of the earlier engine it's pretty clear that there would have been some indication by now. And you're saying about Toyota but they've not really got a great record either. As I said earlier pretty much every car manufacturer has something that seems to be its Achilles heal.

I've spoken to several subaru techs now and they've all said that the issue hasn't presented itself in the newer engines so I'm pretty relaxed that it's possibly sorted. I also have the advantage that I won't keep the car for more than 3 years as its for work, as I have a 5 yr 100k warranty I'm pretty comfortable that any issues will be resolved under that.

It's shame that you've had a bad experience with the diesel as it does seem to be a pretty good engine in general.

annoying thing is it would of been super easy to change manufacturer - improve strength of heater plugs so at least if still fail reasonably quickly you don't need worry about the excessive cost from them shearing off.

I think the current generation diesel probably is quite solid but another 12 to 24 months will be real test & hopefully reports will be good & the diesel will be looked on favourably as it is indeed a potentially great engine for the range of estate/SUV vehicles .

I agree, as I said earlier though I had 2 civics and both had the same clutch failure even though it was a known issue with a known solution, a different clutch. But they didn't put this stronger clutch into all new cars, only the ones that broke within warranty. A lot of people wouldn't break the clutch within warranty because they wouldn't do 50000 in 3 years. So it was a gamble save money up front and just replace the ones that break within warranty, the ones outside wouldn't be their problem, this was my main reason for moving from Honda

• 1 month later...

Christmas Eve and I've now just had my fourth glow plug fail - or may be one of the earlier replacements has failed - with a dire warning each time about the risk of it snapping while removal is attempted with the resulting bill in the region of £4000 for engine removal. The car has done under 32000 miles and the plugs have been failing since 15000 miles. Car is 2010 Forester bought from and serviced by main dealer. None have snapped so far but the constant threat is ridiculous. Theoretically it is possible to rack up an annual bill of around £8000 with replacing those plugs. Anyone else had so many of them fail?

I would like to apologise to my Subaru dealer on this topic and make it absolutely clear that I do not blame them in any way for this problem - their quality of service has always been great. My complaint is against Subaru themselves for not using more reliable glow plugs in what is otherwise a pretty excellent and versatile car. 

I've been getting quite a few of these for plugs due to poor support & silly quotes from dealers.

Easy enough test the plugs with multimeter & removal not long job unless do snap :-/

I'm soaking the plugs with release agent & leaving cars overnight & tackling removal following day to reduce risk of snapping plug or threads being ripped up on removal. Refit with light smear of anti-seize paste on threads & shaft, I'm using a ceramic & synthetic grease based high temp rated anti-seize.

had a few rip some thread but not enough to be an issue.

We been using Ashika branded plugs as original oem ones don't seem great . Glowplugs are around £22 each & as long as don't snap it not over expensive job. Just being careful with removal is critical & not snapped one yet & not had any come back for replacement as of yet but probably will in time unless Ashika far more robust than the oem, time will tell !

Not really sure why they failing, could be the oem plugs, could be too much heat soak or could be ecu related & they being used to much.

We been having short lifespan on diesels & switched to Ashika after some brand testing.

• 3 months later...

Recently three warning lights (Engine, VDC traction control and park brake) showed up on my MY10 Diesel Outback. The local dealer right away said glow plug failure and showed me the two on the righthand side of the engine that were faulty.

Although the vehicle is 18 months over the 3 year warranty they told me the repair would be done under a "Goodwill" warranty and the cost to me would be for diagnosis and road test.

Four glow plugs and the main 50 amp fuse were replaced and the bill for the diagnosis/road test was under A$200.

My point is if this can be done under 'warranty' here, it should be available for any other Subaru diesel that develops this fault.

Now this fault has been resolved and the earlier recall for a missed hole in the gearbox during manufacture, the vehicle is being replaced before any other issue arises.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

I have just read this thread after experiencing the engine warning light cruise control and xmode light all coming on on my 2015 Outback diesel. The car is only 56 weeks old with 6000 km's on the clock so I ma not impressed. Just got back from the dealer who told me it was glow plug and they don't have ny in stock so they have to order one ex Melbourne!!! Not impressed at all. Hope this is not a taste of things to come. 

Hi & welcome sorry to here you have the glow plug problem, I thought they had rectified it on the newer diesel engines, it's a well documented problem so don't let them pull the wool over your eyes

It was a well documented issue on the older diesels but isn't or shouldn't be on the newer diesels 2013 on. Could just be a bit of bad luck but I've not heard of the same problems generally on cars after 2013 when they brought out the Euro5 engine. Not sure if you're in UK or not if you are and they're ordering one from Melbourne that's crazy, if you're in Australia not so.

Yes I am in Australia but in Western Australia and Melbourne is 3000km's away . I was surprised that they didnt hold stock of glow plugs in Perth being a consumable. By the way the post should read 6 weeks old not 56.  

I think you've just been unlucky, there's certainly very little on the internet about glow plug issues on the post 2013 diesels. Plenty on the older ones. Glow plug issues usually developed at about 16000kms or older.

I'm in UK, gives you a sense how big Australia is, if I travelled 3000km in any direction even if I crossed the widest point I'd run out of land after about 1600km.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted soon. How do you find the outback, I looked at one but settled for an XV diesel.

Yes it is a big country.

I did look at the XV but they dont do the diesel over here and I am doing about 900 km's a week. I also wanted a bit more room inside. The Outback is a lovely car to drive and has plenty of power and tows really well. I am getting about 6.8L/100km (41mpg) in fuel economy which is not bad. I just came out of a 2010 mondeo diesel wagon so its interesting to compare, build quality definitely seems superior on the Outback but I think the Mondeo handled better on the bitumen, but the Outback feels great on our gravel roads, very surefooted. Couple of things I wish they could change and that is a larger fuel tank, at least 65 litres but preferably 70litres (Mondeo was 70l and I could get over a 1000km's a tank)  and I wish they had a clock on the display behind the steering wheel. Its a minor thing but quite hard to see the clock amongst all the info amongst the fan settings and aircon and it takes your eyes off the road.  

• 1 month later...

I've been getting quite a few of these for plugs due to poor support & silly quotes from dealers.

Easy enough test the plugs with multimeter & removal not long job unless do snap :-/

I'm soaking the plugs with release agent & leaving cars overnight & tackling removal following day to reduce risk of snapping plug or threads being ripped up on removal. Refit with light smear of anti-seize paste on threads & shaft, I'm using a ceramic & synthetic grease based high temp rated anti-seize.

had a few rip some thread but not enough to be an issue.

We been using Ashika branded plugs as original oem ones don't seem great . Glowplugs are around £22 each & as long as don't snap it not over expensive job. Just being careful with removal is critical & not snapped one yet & not had any come back for replacement as of yet but probably will in time unless Ashika far more robust than the oem, time will tell !

Not really sure why they failing, could be the oem plugs, could be too much heat soak or could be ecu related & they being used to much.

We been having short lifespan on diesels & switched to Ashika after some brand testing.

Excellent post Mr B and covers some of the info I was after, many thanks, have also sent you a PM.

Our 2010 Forester gave glowplug problems at 1yr of age and then again after another faultless 4 years. Subaru Aus. & local dealer replaced all 4 x Glowplugs cost free. We had a life of car Service history with the dealership, this helps !

We love the diesel and will buy a 2015 SJ with CVT this month.

Interested in any info on the 2013 -> 2015 SJ diesels that folks have heard about giving glow plug problems.

The alternative brand glowplugs and anti seize before needing to extract a faulty g/plug is something I had been thinking about Mr B, thanks  :)

(I use an anti seize on my stump grinder threads habitually and find it excellent)

G'day to the other Aussies here too.