Brake advice on an sti please

Gtir250

I recently changed all disks and pads and upgraded to Brembo drilled disks and Brembo sports pads. Car's far more responsive under heavy braking and I haven't felt any fade as yet whereas the last standard/original brakes faded very quickly. Also the drilled disks all round look brilliant. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

May I suggest that before you spend money on the bigger discs set up, that you get the system in order first. There is a guide to the installation of the Brake Master stability bracket by Stanton at the top of the page, then install braided brake hoses. When doing this you will naturally renew the fluid too. This will ensure the system is working to its best efficiency.

Once this is done you need to ask a local MOT station to do a brake test for you. This will give you the resultant brake affect of all four wheels including the balance %. You then have your base point. 

It would be wise now to do a simple upgrade on the pads, search around for the type of affect you are looking for that will suit your driving/journey types - you dont want a pad that will need a lot of work to generate heat if you do short journeys for example. Once selection is made and installed, go back and get another brake test done - £20 here is better than spending £500 if you are gaining what you need.

Obviously you will need to take into account the set up of the ABS too - its not much help if the ABS cuts in 50% earlier due to the changes as your stopping distance will not be any better. Also consider your tyre choice - I've seen muppets with big brake kits that cost a fortune with cheap tyres on and wonder why there braking distance were less than mine on standard discs and pads :-D

In other words...plan, plan then plan again for modification before you spends yer money!

• Like 2

http://rcdevelopments.blogspot.com/2008/07/mlr-rolling-road-day-hosted-by-rc.html

Hi I'm Daryl, and that was my old evo (the white E4 gsr).

thank you for the advice thus far. I'm just trying to find out what impreza parts are a direct fit onto the forester STI as an upgrade ie: strut braces , brake kits etc.

Regards D

• Like 1

On the 1st gen foz just about everything i've found or bought has been interchangable with the classic impreza apart from the backbox which is a different shape and brakes which require a wheel upgrade.

What year is your car ? Someone should be able to shed some light on it with the same year impreza i guess.

Another thing to try is have a look at catalogue numbers on the web for strut braces and what not see if they are the same for the two cars.

Whiteline wanted a fifty quid premium on a brace for mine just cos it was in the forester section. Did some research and some people from here measured some bits for me and i bought a classic impreza one fitted perfectly and saved some cash :-)

• Like 2

Have a word with gambit i'm not sure what year his is but he sould be able to point you in right direction. I've no experence with the newer models i take it yours is the SG then.

Does yours not have sti brakes on ? Thoight the foz sti hot all the same goodies as the impreza. I cant see there beimg much problem in changing the discs as far as i'm aware it's the clearence with rims but if you've got 18in on should be laughing

Does sound like you already have the big stoppers on there 4's up front and 2's on the rear, possibly even cast alloy components that the STI comes with over the WRX.

Check the size of the discs themselves as you may be straight into big disc kits from AP/ Alcon and K Sport?

I agree sounds like you have bigger calipers on already the two in the garage are 2001 and 2005 models with the same breaks as you at a guess. I'd maybe look at better discs and pads. 

Can you get a picture uploaded ? be better to tell from that :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice :) Lot's of stopping power now

Just don't put any racing discs and pads on. Not done it myself but heard some horror stories from people who have :) Unless it's a track day car only of course.