Should i buy an '08 STI Hatch?

GeorgeJolliffe

Hi Guys,

I hope its ok to post here without actually owning a Subaru. Sorry if not.

I’m considering an 08/09 WRX Sti Hatch sometime this year. I’m a proud Saab 95 Aero driver at the moment and love that car but she’s not getting any younger and i really like the ‘subtle looking’ 2008 hatch.

Given that i’m in no rush i thought i’d take the time to see what people think.

I’ve read many comments about the 2.5 engines being generally weaker than the 2.0 but i really want a car new enough to last me a good few years so 2008 is really as old as i’d like to go. Obviously forums can make some problems seem more widespread than they actually are. I have no interest in extreme modification (perhaps a 330 bhp PPP) so should i ignore these red flags regarding the engine? Naturally I will be taking care to get a properly serviced example when the time comes.

My other main concern for the Sti is how stiff the suspension is. I know it’s no Saab 95 but my Girlfriends 08 Civic Type-S is horrid in this respect, very firm and jittery. Is the 08 hatch at least a ‘little’ forgiving?

The car will be a daily driver, i have no plan to use it for track days or anything like that, i just want a fast sensibly sized car with all weather capability and i’ve always loved Subarus.

Sorry for banging on but in summary:

Should i care about these engine concerns/will Subaru help if it goes bang (if serviced correctly)?

Any other issues i should look out for when buying?

Is suspension stupidly hard (compared to Civic Type-S ideally)?

Any feedback appreciated.

Best,

George

Wotcha and welcome George - we have members that don't own Subaru's and we welcome their enthusiasm / contribution.

firstly I must declare my bias in answering your question as I owned an 08 STI PPP 330 Hatch.

It was used day to day ferrying kids about but would induce huge smiles when nailing the twisties a very flexible car. The suspension is softer than a civic s so as standard you would have no problems - my intention was to invest in different ones though as it would benefit from having the front dropped 10mm and the rear firmed up a little this would sharpen up the steering and stop the front rising as much under hard acceleration.

Be under no illusion here though I believe you will be blown away in comparison to your SAAB  its a completely different experience (unless your SAAB is one of the rebadged Subaru's built under licence for SAAB).

The ringland failure as I understood (and did contact Subaru to verify) was attributed to the standard STI's and the PPP 330 modded ones had the parameters in the ECU to avoid that happening - that was until Pete posted that his mate has experienced it, that is the first PPP failure I have heard / read about.

You will read a lot of adverts with the hatches described as Type UK STI's - unless they have the dealer PPP certificate they are not Type UK's and running circa 300 bhp. Check that these have had the ECU mod from the Subaru dealer I was quoted £40 to have it done if needed. A low mileage FSH version of these is still a good buy because they can have a professional ECUTEK remap done by people like Andy Forrest or Jolly Green Monster. This remap will de risk the ringland failure issue and also - should you desire - install options like flat foot shifting, downshift throttle blip, launch control and anti lag :D

My advice go and have a test drive and I dare you to not smile. 

As I said I am biased but I thought the car was just awesome :wub:

Pete + some of the other owners will probably be along in a bit to add their 2p as well

• Like 1

The ring land failure on a friends car may be down to low oil levels, rather than hard driving.

As Jay has said pretty much said everything, I will just say that I love my hb after owning a classic 95 WRX for 11 years moving upto the the 08 was a revelation a much more refind drive.

The ride isn't harsh at all on normal roads, I regualy take speed bumps with out coming to a stop. it doesn't sound any where near as harsh as the Civic. Again like Jay I am looking to get some springs and firm the ride up a bit. Maybe some urathane bushes aswell.

As for the ring land failure, as long as the car has got a full serivce history and you get it checked out by Jolly Green Monster or Andy you should have no issues, if you keep the engine standard or don't go for Stupid power.

My impression is It was mainly modded cars running 400+ bhp that suffered it.

The only complaints about the car I have are:

The stupid Central Locking.

The cargo cover creaks and groans. I had to use some foam to stop it making noise.

The ugly huge Forrester wing mirrors.

Not that much really, they are great cars and can easily return upto 22mpg urban if you drive like a granny. I average 18-19mpg urban, driving like normal with a few spirited squirts every now and then.

When you go for a test drive make sure you try the car in S# theres a little dial by the hand brake turn that to S# and hold on tight. if that doesnt put a grin on your face then i don't know what will.

• Like 1

Gents, thanks for these thorough replies.

I have my heart set on one and will be going ahead baring any glaring reasons not to. I'm not adverse to a firm-ish ride just can't stand the OTT 'crash bang wallop' of the civic. I cringe every time i go near a pot-hole.

I am in zero doubt the dynamics of the car will be great, i wasn't really comparing it to my Saab in that respect. The Saab is like driving a boat i'm just fond of it (for unknown reason really, bit different perhaps).

So basically, its a good idea to get a Type UK PPP 330 or get a suitable remap done ASAP.

Jay - When you say Type UK STI's, I assume it possible to get a Type UK STI without PPP (300)? In which case they wouldn't have a PPP certificate? So how would i confirm they are Type UK? Sorry if i'm mis-understanding something here.

Pete - A decrease in interior quality is perfectly acceptable to me given what the STI delivers mechanically.

• Like 1

Subaru launched the STI hatch globally it came as standard with 300bhp although the US dont get things like HID lights and some other stuff, they also did the Type UK model which has the PPP pack fitted as a UK dealer option and that is referred to as the Type UK. However everyone appears to advertise their STI as being a Type UK but then they state the BHP as being 300 so its not actually a Type UK.

Subaru did toy with the idea of two tuned versions for the UK a 330 and a 380bhp model but only the 330 option reached the dealership.

A standard STI will not have a PPP certificate a Type UK should have one.

I agree with Petes comment about the rear cargo cover thing it does rattle a bit also teh paint on teh door cards where you close the doors is quite thin and does chip / wear away easily - they can be removed and resprayed very easily

Subaru launched the STI hatch globally it came as standard with 300bhp although the US dont get things like HID lights and some other stuff, they also did the Type UK model which has the PPP pack fitted as a UK dealer option and that is referred to as the Type UK. However everyone appears to advertise their STI as being a Type UK but then they state the BHP as being 300 so its not actually a Type UK.

Got it, So a Type UK is always 330 BHP and there is no such thing as a Type UK with 300 BHP.

Some handy info to go on, thanks guys. I'll be sure to be back in X months time to share some pictures and no doubt pick peoples brains about upgrades/servicing recommendations.

Thanks for the welcome one and all!

• Like 1

thats it - if you are willing to save a bit longer the newer 330s model comes with a push button start :wub:

its the little things :P

That's gone on my list of 'things to consider when buying'  :)

Looks like the 330s is a rebranded 330 PPP as much as anything else? With a new exhaust?

As Pete says there is a little more to it than a rebadge - what it also means is you get 330bhp as a standard dealer car which causes a lot less confusion with some insurance companies - although we have got a forum discount deal with Adrian Flux and they know their Imprezas