A query about my rear end...

Diz

Hi all, I am in a state of confusion about what's needed by the guy repairing the back end of my poor car (see the Old Banger thread) and I wonder if anyone can help me get my head around what I need.

The repairer has assessed the car and says he will straighten the slight dink in the subframe with a jig. He has asked me to supply a rear bumper beam (which he originally described as a backplate) as that will be bent too.

According to the diagrams I have seen and now can't find again, there is the bumper skin (which I have), an upper beam (which the scrappie missed but will send on to me), then an energy absorption thingmy, then a rear bumper beam.

However the breakers have said there is nothing behind the bumper skin and the rear bumper beam is spot welded to the car. They are apparently experienced in breaking these cars. The diagram I saw on scoobynet looks like there is a rear bumper beam with bolts to hold it on.

Please help. The car goes for repair a week tomorrow and I really want to get the right parts to the guy so it is as painless as possible - it has caused enough pain already!

Thanks,

Diz

post-1363-0-17596700-1391369415_thumb.pn

post-1363-0-34367700-1391369420_thumb.pn

Oh :(

I got all excited when I read the title ;)

Only thing I can think he means is THIS

Rear Bumper Backing Bar

qale.jpg

Not the best picture will see if I can get a better one in a bit from the Workshop manuals 

Or you can download it yourself HERE and have a look :)

Thanks Gambit. Sorry to disappoint you - by the grace of the gods my own rear end remains much the same as it was 20 years ago ;-)

I got a copy of these in four parts, and the diagrams I posted relate to the rear bumper section but can't find the rear bumper beam bit. If it's on the frame of the car I don't know what the damn file is called. I'll trawl through this and see if I can find the part, but what you posted is a different diagram from what I saw before.

If only it was the inside of a computer or a bike I'd have a fighting chance...

:(

I know the parts come with all sorts of names like rear slam panel mainly used for the front of the car but have heard it called that. I did think it was welded onto the cars at the rear on Subarus but without fully looking I'm not 100% :( but I was only under the impression it was that then the foam part then bumper skin, I.e the rear bumper. if it is the part you must of hit it dam hard to damage it. 

I've not checked the guides yet myself it's my geek night so have been a bit busy, will have another look tomorrow. 

The guy at the repair shop did say different people call it different things. I'm tempted to try conference calling them in as they are talking at odds and I am clueless under the circumstances. Last few days the weather has been pants and I am afraid to take the bumper off in case I can't get it back on again, so I am working blind on this one. 

Same with me not a part of the car I've ever had to work on or buy myself, and with the names given to the part also makes it hard work but I'm sure thats the only bit he can be on about another name for it HERE with link to fleebay. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify re hitting something that hard to cause damage... and this is not to have a go Gambit, it's to say I can't explain this myself.

I know us ladies have a bad rap for being crap at reversing. A lot of ladies are cringeworthy in this respect and I have offered to park their car for the sake of relieving further embarrassment. I'm pretty good at it, where I used to live you had to be to squeeze into a parking space.

I was reversing in a *petrol station*. There were cars coming in behind me and I was using my wing mirrors because I couldn't see sod all out of the back window with the low-angle sun and sparkling raindrops on the back window. I couldn't see the post in the mirrors because it was narrow and directly behind me. I can only assume it's because of what I hit (an I-beam) and the 45° angle I hit it at. A week later I saw a guy reverse into a rounded bollard with a bit of give, louder bang and going faster, barely a scratch.

Yes, the lady may protest too much because it is such a sore point... I am mortified and feeling very sorry for myself :(  I want to set the record straight as I don't drive like an eejit. At least not nowadays :unsure:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it appears that number 2 in the diagram, the rear bumper upper beam is what's needed. We sandblasted it and gave it a spray before taking it to the fixer dude. Seems everything else is Hunky Dory - good for an old Bowie nerd :-)

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The car is back with me and I am no longer driving around wearing one of these....

post-1363-0-21575700-1392477863_thumb.jp

The part needed was the equivalent of number 2 in the diagram you posted Gambit, but looks more like the part in the original diagram I posted. The scrappie had forgot to send this bit on, and did so free of charge. They even found more of the clips that fix it on, as the originals got busted when it was removed. I must write and thank them. It was in much better nick than the original bit, which had rusted such it had a small hole in it, so another good thing to get tidied up.

Thanks for your help and support guys, much appreciated.

• Like 2

You're welcome. Does sounds like it has paid off having the prang in a strange way  :blink: But at least they found it and admitted to not sending it. And glad it's all back on the road in one peace :D

Just remember not to reverse in that petrol station again ;) 

Oh FFS - Bathgate has been deleted from the map as far as I am concerned, no danger I am going back there!

As requested in the Old Banger post...

After pic - stickin' oot!

post-1363-0-98535100-1392575602_thumb.pn

In time will replace the spoiler, as it's not perfect - guy has offered to
respray it for free if I get the wrong colour. If that's the case there
will be a spoiler light for sale ;-)

• Like 1

I breathed a sigh of relief last night when a minted dark blue Scoob came into the filling station behind me. Didn't catch the model, had no air scoop? But there were L plates on it. I shuddered. Not in my lifetime!

• Like 1