New boy to the forum

Smiler555

Hi all,Iam a new member to the s.o.c:)

I am yet to own a subaru,I've wanted one for as long as I can remember but due to my love for bikes the subaru has been put on the back burner for years now!

But I think it's finally time to buy:) looking for any advise or any do's or dont's please?

Welcome to the forums, general rule of thumb if its too good to be true it usually is, watch out for heavily modded examples with no receipts as this is probably about to blow up, and if it sounds like the engine is knocking steer clear as its a very expensive job,  i would try to get a scoob that has regular service intervals every 6 months if they are very ocd or minimum 12 months.

Look for blue smoke on slight revs as this will indicate turbo is on the way out.

Check the sides of the engines as the rocker covers are usually leaking if there old.

make sure and i cant stress this enough that no Gasket sealant has been used or it will end up like mine having to have them all replaced with gaskets. 

Wotcha and welcome Smiler

we have a subaru buying guide - it is Impreza flavoured but a lot of it is relevant across the models - when you have narrowed down your search to a more specific idea let us know and members with those models can advise - of course you are free to browse the different areas of the forum

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

also we have a few bikers on here :)

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

And good to hear that you finally might be making the plunge as long as you get a good one I'm 100% sure you won't be sorry and the smile lasts for years :D feel free to have a look around if you need to ask any questions we will do our best to answer as soon as we can :)

Check insurance is a first thing I would do , weigh up what you want from the car , if you don't mind me asking what's your budget ? Do you want a classic or newage ?

Do you want to modify it performance wise ?

One thing I always do is google the number plate , might thro up some results on previous owners , good or bad !

One my friends wanted a rb320 then googled imaged it to show us in the pub one night what he was after , turned out was the press car so had been abused from cold at a early age

Thank you fellas for the warm welcome & all good & helpful advise you have gave me it's much appreciated.

Thanks Matt,I was thinking round about the 2 grand mark,less if possible. I wouldn't mind a little bit of a project .impreza wrx would be my preferred.

I was looking round about year 2000 as I like the classic look much better than the new age.

You should get a nice late uk for 2k , wrx tend to be earlier models like v3s ( m - nplate )

Least with uk spec you get a nicer interior , ac and crystal light pack

Check for rot around the rear arches and general back end underneath , if going for a standard one prodrive pack is a added bonus but ask for proof / paperwork .

On start up when cold check for any rattles or knocks under slight load , the throttle is at the top so you can get nice and close

When it's warm check for the usual head gasket faults and leaking rads as they are a fault

Paperwork is key !! The more the better ideally but there are some bargains out there and the prices are climbing

• Like 1