Bolts

I was in a Subaru Dealership, so thought I'd ask the parts guy for a price on the rear hub:strut bolts (y'know the 19mm ones, two on each strut?).

He wanted £40 PLUS VAT for the four bolts to cover the rear!!

I was only asking because mine look rusty as hell and ruin the look of my coilovers! I went to a generic nuts and bolts shop and got four of these, with washers (no flange bolts) for £7...

IMG_20140219_150956.jpg

Can you see a problem with me using these when I next get the chance? They're identical thread/pitch/length/width but the heads are 22mm rather than 19mm and the threaded portion of the bolt is longer (the OEM ones are unthreaded for the full width of the hub knuckle). Oh, and they're not "flanged" so hence the washers.

Not sure how bolts are rated in terms of strength/torque etc, don't want to risk a disaster just because I'm a tart...

If it is just rust and the threads are in good condition I would look at dressing them using a wire wheel and a drill or bench grinder then either paint them, plate them or leave them shiney

If it is just rust and the threads are in good condition I would look at dressing them using a wire wheel and a drill or bench grinder then either paint them, plate them or leave them shiney

Considered this also, the threads are absolutely fine - if anything it's the bolt head and nut that is a little tired from a few years of breaker bar abuse I guess.

I've got some of that Bilt Hamber Deox Gel coming to do some other stuff, so might try that on them - then paint the unthreaded parts with Hammerite smooth or something. Not sure how long that would stand up to spanners though, and likewise leaving them uncoated would likely rust in minutes!

One step closer to figuring out if these will be adequate.

Looked at the bolt head of one of my new ones and it said "10.9" on it. Stuck it into Google and found the following page:

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

10.9 suggests "Alloy Steel, Quenched and Tempered" and is "middle of the road" in terms of strength.

I get the feeling my OEM bolts will be unreadable due to rust, but will attack them with a wire brush next time my wheel is off and see what I can work out. If they're 10.9 or less, my new bolts should be fine. Even if not, at least I know what to look for and can go out and buy some 12.9's or whatever.

If anyone has remarkably clean suspension strut bolts, feel free to go read the number written on the bolt head :D

Nice job find the info out. I'm really rooting that they work, not that I have a problem with the main stealers but I like the cheap fix options more :) 

Unfortunately I'd say mine are just as bad but will look when I whip a wheel off next