New chick from the Shire of Devon

Jinx1304

Howdy all. Just stumbled across this site by chance so thought I'd join in. After much begging my other half finally caved and allowed me to go Subaru shopping over the weekend. I am now the proud owner of an Impreza turbo 2000. I think I just rescued her from being abandoned. She's been badly keyed and her brakes have varying degrees of wear, which tells me that the bloke I bought her off changed them as and when and not in sets. Pillock. But because of this I was able to knock him down by £450. Got her for £800. I have to say I am now converted. I will never own anything else. I have never driven anything like it. Anyhoo thought I'd pop in and say hello as I'm reading through for info on brakes etc. so yeh Helloooo :)

Welcome to the club.

Nice car and sounds good value.

In regards to brakes I'm guessing the car has the older single pot front brakes. It's worth upgrading to the later 4 Pot brakes which a member on here recons and sells so it may be worth pm'ing Cusco scooby wagon about a set.

Another thing to consider is getting the discs skimmed or replaced. Loads of options for all budgets on replacements.

Also braided brake lines and high performance pads should be considered.

One thing with any car I was taught when messing about with cars, was to make sure it can stop before it can go, don't scrimp on brakes :D

Sure everyone's else will chip in with their 2pence

Hi Jinx welcome to S.O.C 

Car looks nice but does sound like it was in need of a rescue but look's great from the picture and looks like it was a bargain at £800 

I think Scooby Pete covered it all really, and I agree with the upgrade to 4 pots if it's not been done. But if you need to know anything please feel free to start a new thread, all a friendly bunch on here . And we have plenty of Female Subaru owners here too :)

Thanks guys. She is currently running with 4 pots but shes been used and abused. Doesn't look like they have been changed axle by axle. Her new brakes are on the way thankfully and then I can start working on the paintwork where she's been scratched.

• Like 1

Oh thats a bonus then :) 

well don't be afraid of before and after pictures, does sound like it's not been looked after but good to hear you sound like you are going to restore her back to good health. I'd give her and oil and filter change too I'd say if they have let it get that bad they wouldn't have done that either :( 

welcome to the club im a newbie to ....now i dont no nothing about cars i just drive lol....but i have just changed my brakes over to four pot and are much better.....all the guys on here will put you on the right track i have found the advice very helpful and am continuing to get advice  top club

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Looked over the paperwork and up until 3 years ago it seems she was really well looked after, service receipts and all sorts but then he sold her and the new owner just didn't maintain it. Seems the chap we bought her off only had her for a couple if weeks. He said he prefers Volvo. Pish! Her undercarriage needs a good going over with a rust treatment, any recommendations? Her new brake discs and pads have been ordered, doing all 4. So then hopefully it's just the scratch where she's been keyed to sort out. She is 14 years old so have to expect some rust I suppose! Also I have noticed when driving that the front drivers side brake caliper is a bit sticky...any ideas? Sorry if any of this needs to be in a different thread. Haven't had time to read through them all yet.

• Like 1

no problem - start a new thread when you get the spares and commence your spanner twirling ;)

you might want to get a fresh lot of 5.1 brake fluid and flush the system through completely whilst you are there.

Sounds like you have a seized piston or two which would account for uneven pad wear and the chap changing one set at a time.

get the caliper off and press the brake pedal, the pistons should move, if one moves and not the other get your old pads or a bit of wood and have the free piston wedge itself against them so it cant come out any further then press again to try and free the stuck piston.

If you can get both extended you can clean and inspect which will help in the short term, longer term they may need servicing with new seals and possibly pistons as well. Not a complex job