Buying advice

Rgavvo

Looking to buy my first impreza. Going to look at a x reg uk turbo. Can you more experienced owners give me some advice on what to look out for please. Car has fsh and is pretty much standard apart from a back box. Don't want to buy one then have problems later. Many thanks

• Like 1

Looking to buy my first impreza. Going to look at a x reg uk turbo. Can you more experienced owners give me some advice on what to look out for please. Car has fsh and is pretty much standard apart from a back box. Don't want to buy one then have problems later. Many thanks

Hello and welcome :D

Here is a few bit's to look for not my work i must say just copied it (and corrected some spelling) :)

WRX 

A Quick way to tell if it is an import - fold down the offside sun visor there should be writing in Japanese on it. Electric mirrors and Air Con - Is a give away sign - but not definite proof. Fog light added onto the back is another clue

Mapped for 100ron fuel - has it been run on the correct fuel since in the UK?

Running bigger power than UK cars. Gearing is different.

WRX Sti

Well a bright red lump under the bonnet is a bit of a give away

WRX Sti Type R RA

A bright red lump and look for the DCCD control in the centre console

UK Car

Check the sun visor and subaru lettering on boot are tell tell signs. No air con - then UK (Unless type RA)

Facelift occurred in 1998 - so as a rule of thumb

Pre 1998 cars should have old style front bumper and bonnet

1998 facelift bonnet and old style front bumper

1999 onwards facelift bonnet and new style front bumper

1998 was also the year gearboxes changed

Pre 1998 was TY752 box - with a weaker casing

post 1998 was TY754 box - that was strengthened

1998 ECUs cant be remapped - They have to be replaced

1999 -2000 MAF sensors especially prone to fail - but cheaper to replace

Pre 1999 MAF sensor less likely to fail - but more expensive to replace

1997 cars can suffer from piston slap when cold. Its not a problem its just what they do!

On earlier cars the power steering tank and header tank are of a poorer design and prone to fail. You will notice the design is different on later cars

Top hoses can get brittle and are also prone to going 

Check for tyre wear on the inside edges - as this is often where scoob tyres can wear most and the wear is not visible at first glance.

Check it for nasty knocks is the main thing , when Ice cold is easier ! Put it under a slight load like 1400 rpm rattles or a knocking walk away , check engine don't move all over the bay too just be rigid in place

Check radiator for leaks Nd signs of head gasket failure

Get right in rear arches , if you can get in the boot and look behind panels do ! If you see rust it will need a repair soon

Don't be put off by uneven tyre wear

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Unfortunately had a few members that have had that and one had just had the engine build by the guy who had bought the car from but he had no experience in building Subaru engines :(  

But if we can help or you have any question please feel free to ask :) 

STI has a better engine for tuning past the 350BHP and comes out the box with some extra goodies like suspension. 

The WRX Buyeye standard is about 216BHP But can push past that if you wanted with some modifications. 

About 261 I have two WRX's in the garage so don't let it put you off ones 300BHP and the other one is a bit newer and about 226 standard apart from a bigger exhaust and a few little things. I might go STI next but I'm more than happy with the WRX I've modified it to it's full potential and it put's a smile on my face still :)

Going to look at the car tomorrow bloke says he had clutch done and cam belt done at 45 k he has all receipts and has had the rear wheel arches done at a cost if £700 again with receipts. He wants £2700 for it on an x plate seems a bit expensive but will see whet it's like tomorrow.

216/226 bhp as standard? I thought they were higher than that. My 17 yr old legacy had 280 as standard!

Yeah thats all the WRX are :( the STI is more your BHP out the box the 226BHP is a 55 plate blobeye. 

Just been to view car. Just been mot ed with advisories of all four springs corroded sub frame corroded but not weakened anti roll bar bushes on both sides deteriorated but no excessive play and rear anti roll bar corroded. And front tyres perished. He wants 3 grand and won't budge so walked away. The search continues

I am looking to spend about £2500. It's to use as a 2nd car. Wife drives the family car and I have an old 406 to run to work in but looking for a subaru to use as only do about 10 mile per day. If you see anything let me no as I am prepared to travel. Been looking for a while now but just can't find anything today was a 120 mile round trip wasted

:( Yeah I remember it well when I was looking for mine. I'd looked through every website all the car garages within a good distance of my house you name it traveled to look at a few. was about 3 months before I bought one from start to finish 2nsd one wasn't so bad I had picked 3 to look at in Manchester when I got there 1 had sold so that left just the 2 So went and had a look at the 1st one liked that thought it was only 12 miles down the road to look at the 2nd one so went to have a look at that. Was put off by the garage and the gangster mafia type pushy sales of the garage and looking at the car wasn't well looked after went back and got the one I 1st looked at :) So not on your own think most of us have been there :D