Battery or Alternator ?

firedawg

• 2 weeks later...

learnt something new today :)

Me too mate - the hard way. When will I stop embarrassing myself?

Car was a bit farty starting up yesterday and today in the morning, and again at lunchtime. !Removed! alarm going off, dash lights flashing and bleeb-a-leeb-a-leeb noises (the technical term for it). Then when I left work earlier, I could tell even by the way the central locking had clicked open that this was going to be a struggle. Tried again after a few minutes and the car fired up - wee bugger!

Had a similar problem 2 weeks ago, but it seemed to right itself after a 90-mile round trip down the motorway (in thick fog, lights on, wipers on) to my mum's house. I usually drive about 5 miles and back to work each day, so I thought short journeys were causing this. Two 120-mile round trips to Glasgow last week I thought would keep me right, but I had no lights, heating or wipers on. I really hope that's where I'm going wrong, as I could do with a cheap fix for once!

I went to devon last week 650 mile round trip and kept the sidelights on all the time and the car has started fine, so i am hoping that it is cured.  mind you wife didn't like my 'progressive' driving around devon - kids did though !

• Like 2