Battery or Alternator ?

firedawg

Well folks as previously posted on newbie site - got an 05 sportwagon wrx about amonth ago 110 k with full md history but needing cambelt service.

I got a name off here for Tim who used to work for Zen apparently and I supplied the bits - Gates Cambelt, Pulley and Waterpump Kit which I imported from the states for £170 inc bought some plugs oil filter and oil and pipercross air filter and got the whole job done for £480 inc parts which I thought was good.

Anyways car sailed through MOT yesterday but then would not start this morning so took it over to a mates garage who tested Battery and said it appeared ok then put his meter on with engine running and it was putting out around 12.35 to 12.4 volts !

He said it should be between 12.50 and 13.00. Anyway when i put the lights on it went up to 14.40 so he reckons it is the rectifier on the alternator but if I run under load ie lights on it should be ok for awhile. 

Your thought s and cost for a replacement alternator ?

Knew the MOT was too good to be true eh !

Cheers 

Mark

I ran my forester with the side lights on from when I bought it as has read this somewhere too. As I run the blower on setting 1 all the time, is there no need for my side lights then to kick the alternator in?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Cheers folks,

If it is an intelligent alternator then why has the Battery gone flat ?

Is 12.30 volts enough then as I remember now that when I first viewed the car it would not start initially and the guy said that he had left the interior light on but not so sure now.

The guy did think it might be a bad earth and it got better when I turned the lights on so he said it might be earthing via the lights but then he tested it and said it was the alternator.

If ιt's only doing short journeys then I would run ιt under load yes! Ιt's not that intelligent that ιt knows when Battery ιs near dead, ιt just does what ιt's supposed to, trickle charge ιs better for the Battery. I guess that's why they made them lιke as they didn't design them to be occasional toys

No mate - standard Stereo system on it. So are you saying that when no load is on then the alternator should only give out 12.40 volts ?

One other question - if I unlock the car and don't fire her up within a few seconds and then turn the key again she will not start until I lock and unlock the doors again which is a right pain ! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong# ?

Cheers folks - reckon the guy yesterday did not know about the fact that it charged what it needed when under load cause he seemed to think that it should be above 12.50. He did put a meter on the Battery to check the cells and they seemed ok but can never be sure i guess.

Well just having the side lights on the Blobeye I've never had an issue in two years. And never had the issue with the Bugeye so not sure if it was something that came along after or I just have that much powering through it :) 

Had a £90 Battery with a 5 year warranty after it was bought mate :( I thought it was the Battery too. I even took the Battery back and swapped it for another just to make sure. Then had it all tested. Battery was fine as you would guess just wasn't getting full charge when running then would be flat unless I have the side light's on. but doesn't get driven far either the Bugeyes my main baby. I just banged them LED strips around the side of the lights so look's like daytime running lights with aftermarket headlights also with led's on look's pretty cool I think :D It's never bothered me to look into it once I figured out just keeping the side lights on worked 

• Like 1

Hairy muff, that's the thing ιt's not driven often! Iam gonna do a bit of reading see just how intelligent the alternators are, my alarm luckily measures Battery voltage and if ιt drops below a certain level ιt starts the car with the lights on to charge the Battery!! Yes Iam cool lol!!!

When I got back of hols for 3 weeks my neighbour told me he kept thinking my car was being stolen, started itself twice in 3 weeks lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...