need some advice please

sweetlegacy

My next door neighbour has an xreg forester 2.0 manual.

I tried to hook my Bluetooth adapter with the torque software and it does not recognise ecu, have i done something wrong?

Also he has not drove the car for 6 months and it idles over 1.5k and when the engine warms up the revs are sporadic.

I think it is may be the throttle body sensor or a maf/oxygen sensor.

Any advice is appreciated.

No you're not doing anything wrong Stanton500 has this problem seems to do with the year they don't seem to with the OBDII readers. I can't remember what the outcome was now. Not sure if it was the two black plugs with the forester that was done in the end. But I know it won't work like it does on anything around 2001 onwards the OBDII scanners. 

I would say your diagnostic would be spot on, but check for pipes that might be split or lose :) 

Subaru decided it would be a good idea to have an OBD style port but use completly different software. All jap cars pre odb2 used something i can't remember the name of, you can get a scanner but they cost over a ton.

As gambit says theres should be 4 diagnostic plugs a little further back from the port you were playing with. I'd paste the guide link in but i'm on my phone :-(

Maybe a flat ish Battery, i'd either hook it up to a charger for a couple hours or go for a nice long run with your side lights on see if that cures it. Cheapest options first.

As for idle at start up it should idle high then drop to 750ish takes a couple of mins.

If charging the Battery hasn't cured it you could try the un plug maf sensor test. Not exactly a very scientific test but if you un plug it whilst the car is running it should stall. If not it's a bit dodgy and needs replacment.

• Like 1

Could also be an air leak after in the system, after the MAF, so the engine is getting a different amount of air than it thought it would. Happened to mine with exact same symptoms.

Same as on the Impreza there is a black unit with 2 screws attaching it to the inlet manifold I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but it will come back to me ... Any take it out clean it with brake cleaner put it back and it won't rev high anymore

isnt that the idle control ?

ive just had this problem with the skyline, its pre obd 2 but uses a system called Consult, even the obd2-1 cable didnt work. However depending on the adapter and software (app) used is depending on if it will connect to the given car. I payed £4 for a Vgate one and £2 for the Torque Pro app, so far ive tested the following Vehicles:

Ford Focus ST2

Vauxhall Corsa SXI+

Skyline (Failed)

Subaru Impreza 99

Seat Altea 

If its the Maf thats causing it uplug the maf while the engines running and if it doesnt cut out its a maf Fault.

isnt that the idle control ?

ive just had this problem with the skyline, its pre obd 2 but uses a system called Consult, even the obd2-1 cable didnt work. However depending on the adapter and software (app) used is depending on if it will connect to the given car. I payed £4 for a Vgate one and £2 for the Torque Pro app, so far ive tested the following Vehicles:

Ford Focus ST2

Vauxhall Corsa SXI+

Skyline (Failed)

Subaru Impreza 99

Seat Altea 

If its the Maf thats causing it uplug the maf while the engines running and if it doesnt cut out its a maf Fault.

thats it ... If you clean the idle control valve the spring sticks so shoots the revs through the roof mine got stuck on my race car I nearly **** myself when it happened !!

Thanks guys.

Issue sorted the a bit of wd40 and a blast of a few A roads and its all sorted. The car has been stood still for over 6 months and passed its MOT with no issues. I challenge other cars to do that.

In fact I will go far as saying the forester is a fantastic car, feels solid and better built than my newer legacy.

Thanks Gambit, needs to convince neighbour on other side now to convert.lol

• Like 1