turbos?

Hi mate where abouts in Lincolnshire are you ?.

And if your just wanting to keep the engine standard I don't see the need in the bigger turbo. To get full use of it would have to get other parts for the engine and remaps for it to give you any gains.

Wotcha and welcome -

as Gbit says if the rest of the engine is standard stick with the TD04, you may even see an improvement in pick up as the smaller turbo wont take as long to spool up

The turbos would still be operating at the same pressure the difference is in the amount of air that they can put into the chamber when the valves open.

So even though the pressure is the same, due to the TD05 being larger it can move a greater volume at a higher speed, which gives you a bigger bang.

You can get smaller turbos to run higher pressures by modifying the actuator or fitting bleed off valves, but this in itself wont necessarily give more performance

What I would investigate - and will be doing for my own car is the standard size turbo but getting one with a roller bearing setup - this allows the turbo to spool up faster and gives increased component reliability.

Also it depends on what type of TD04 you have as there are several variants for the subaru range (TD04 - 13G, TD04 - 19T, TD04 - 17G) and others that will fit but wont necessarily be any good for the car - for instance the TD04 on a forrester is different to the TD04 on an impreza.

this link has a lot of info but.... it is comprehensive and illustrates the compressor maps - showing the optimum flow rate for size of turbo - this is the info that will help you ensure bolting on a different turbo will get gains

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

well the legacy has a manual bleed fitted but apparently wont go over 11-12psi, i want to get it on the dyno and see how its running first and make the choice from there, i want 300bhp min out of it so have a feeling i need a TD05 wont i????

only reason really is Iv been offered one by a lad at work. but my gut instinct was to stuck with the original as the car is set up to run that turbo.

thanks for your help there m8 much appreciated

well the legacy has a manual bleed fitted but apparently wont go over 11-12psi, i want to get it on the dyno and see how its running first and make the choice from there, i want 300bhp min out of it so have a feeling i need a TD05 wont i????

not necessarily - you could get 300 min from a TD04 it depends on what other pipework, injectors, ecu map & exhaust you have to go with it

• Like 1

only reason really is Iv been offered one by a lad at work. but my gut instinct was to stuck with the original as the car is set up to run that turbo.

If it is a good price it might be worth you having it as potential option for the future ;)

not necessarily - you could get 300 min from a TD04 it depends on what other pipework, injectors, ecu map & exhaust you have to go with it

cheers, well i am now picking the car up on monday, stupid insurance company not working weekends grrrrrrrrrr, i could be on my way to get it as we speak. I believe it has a piggy-back and i know it has a cat-back but not sure what size, also it has a FMIC with 76mm piping.

No problems, like jay said if the price is right could always buy it for either future or resale :)

cheers, well i am now picking the car up on monday, stupid insurance company not working weekends grrrrrrrrrr, i could be on my way to get it as we speak. I believe it has a piggy-back and i know it has a cat-back but not sure what size, also it has a FMIC with 76mm piping.

God dam it !Removed! insurance company's are a pain :)