impreza steering wheel change

oldmanscooby

got a 1998 impreza awd 2.0 litre non turbo

wishing to eventually change the steering wheel

aware of airbag issue but any advice welcome at this stage testing the water listening to good advice of impreza owners who ve gone down that route in the past

appreciated

Did it in mine and very easy. Disconnect Battery, then on either side of the steering wheel are a couple of fox bolts which should loosen to take off the airbag off. Loosen but dont take off the 17mm (or 19mm forget which) Central nut to stop wheel smacking

you in the face., then with the nut still on pull the wheel lose, Then remove the nut and steering wheel Undo the electric connections and its off. Remember if you are using a after market steering wheel you need the right boss for the connections

mine is 1998 read the boss kit around these years is generic to all models thats a company selling them plus checked momo but that was to 1996

maybe someone can reassure / confirm this

do i need to attach a resistor to fool the air bag system with it removed

thanks

done lots of wheel changes but not air bag models

You either need to use a resistor or remove the bulb. Not sure what resistor though. And make sure the boss has the connectors for the horn or it will be a bugger to Wire.

Was my first car with airbag and is very similar just remember to disconnect the Battery.

I'm sure you can get ready made kit's for it and I think the resistor is 3 ohm we had a member do this before. 

Only kit I found was a boss kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-GC8-Without-Airbag-Aftermarket-Hkb-Boss-Kit-/321212427859?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac9c0ae53

but I'm sure I found one that was ready made that just plugged in. 

the horn doesn't have to be an issue if the wheel you really want doesn't have one as dash mounted button in reach of the drivers hand will pass an mot - the Antera wheel I have has two that you keep catching by accident so I disconnected them and had a small button fitted instead

thanks

ordered a boss kit and 3 ohm resistor so now going to sort out what steering wheel i want and do the mot first in a few weeks first then its full steam ahead on subtle mods etc

Nice one remember the pictures we all like pictures here. Any before and afters are always good :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...