Legacy Diesel Engine Ticking Sound and Oil Warning Light

I have a 2008 Diesel Subaru Legacy Estate that's making unnusual ticking sounds. The car has done approx 130k miles and been Subaru serviced up to the point I bought it a couple of years ago.

The ticking comes and goes with throttle position. I guess it could be the tappets? It seems to come from the driver's side, but that might just because I'm closest to that side of the car...

The other day the oil warning light came on (red oil can). The oil level was at the low marker on the dip stick and I've put 1l of fully synthetic castrol 5W-30 in and the level (always checked 5 mins after stopping) is now at the mid point on the dip stick, but the warning light still comes on when the car is driven hard and the clutch depressed.

The turbo had recently started to whine slightly when cold (a tiny bit like the sound of a car reversing). I took it to the garage - they gave me a very large range of prices to service/replace it. I'm now guessing whether the low oil level has had something to do with this as the sound has improved.

The ticking remains. I know diesels and boxers have their own sound, but I would say that the engine doesn't sound happy. The ticking can be heard at all parts of the journey - not just when the engine is cold.

Does anyone have any advice about these two items? I'm not looking for a mirracle, just something to guide me when getting it fixed. Can anyone recommend a good (ideally independent) Subaru dealer near Coventry/in the midlands. They need to be able to cope with an oil burner rather than a petrol drinker.

This is my first post on the forums. I love the car - it's good to arrive at work with a smile on one's face. I was in the market for a family car and the diesel boxer enabled me to get something 4x4 and more exciting than the an A6, Octavia et al. I just wonder if there is much support out there for the Diesel (including a power upgrade/tune) or is the community almost entirely petrol focussed?

Cheers,

Tim.

Just a guess but I think the sound would have been piston slap if the oil was that low it might have sounded like a ticking noise as it was smacking around. I'm not sure with the light I could at least try get some more oil in to take it up some more and unplug the Battery just to see if you can reset the ECU of any codes. Not sure if it works with the later models. Might need to get a OBDII  reader and a phone app to clear any.