New wrx help

Hi all I have just bought my first impreza it's a 2004 wrx it's my first turbo car and I not nothing about them

The man I bought it off has put on a dump valve and he said it has put on the engine management light does anyone no why it drives realy good and pulls well so hope it's somthing simple

Cheers for any help you can give

Welcome to the club

Have you had the codes read?

It could be something not relating to the DV.

Are all the pipes secure?

Have you got a boost gauge?

it could be over boosting and running lean, so it could kill your engine.

or it could be exhaust sensors getting a rich reading from the gasses after a gear change.

Air goes into the engine and is measured with the MAF, so the ECU calculates how much fuel to add. But the dump valve lets some of the measured air out on a gear change, then when you get back on the throttle the mixture is too rich.

Try not to drive it hard until you get it checked out

• Like 1

I've never heard a dump Valve put a code on but you never know if it has I would say it's because it has a leak but it wouldn't run very well. If you can get one of the OBII Bluetooth readers from eBay and Torque pro from the app store you can use your phone to read them and remove the code to see if it comes back. 

But I would guess it was something more than just the DV 

I only got the car yesterday so havnt had them read yet I will try to this week

The little pipe that connects to the dump valve was loose so I have put a little jubali clip on it but the light is still on I am guessing that it will have to be canceled off with the computer

The car seems to drive spot on but tbf it's my first one so nothing to compare it with also a few people have said get a boost gauge just to keep an eye on it so I will try and get one of them . Are the easy to fit? Diy?

Wotcha and welcome - yes boost gauges are easy to fit. Have a browse around the forum stacks of info you may find useful and feel free to post some photos would be great to see your new pride and joy

Nice motor - do like the black and gold combo, like the F1 lotus JPS car.

That looks like the air conditioning system filler / bleed valve, is your air con blowing icy cold, if not a top up and new cap should sort it

nice car, I've got a black blob too :)

mine had a cracked tee piece near the DV, it lit the CEL, I looked at the boost gauge and it was 1.8 bar!!!! running that lean can melt the engine :o

I sorted the tee piece and then had to get the CEL reset

it's easy to fit a boost gauge, the hardest bit is getting the pipe into the cabin :P

• Like 1

I thinks it's air con too, maybe high pressure side. the only cap I have touched is [if you look at your picture] to the right of the top mount and in line with the top row of fins, there are 2 pipes parallel, thin one and thick one, I think they are the low pressure side

mine felt like it was running great too, but it was running 1.8 bar

hopefully the jubilee clip will have sorted it, but get the CEL reset and then you will know if it's fixed, if not the CEL will come on again

£40 to get the CEL reset or £2,500 for an engine rebuild?

Got it booked in for tomorow night to get the light turned off and the codes read hopefully it stays off haha

I have also just bought a new gasket for the dump valve that I am going to fit tonight

Has anyone got any idears where I would get a cap for that aircon thing?

Car looks nice mate. The missing cap is an aircon charge point, you should cap it off something or dust ingress will cause it to leak. The dump valve can bring on eml because you have a maf sensor. The waste air is normally recirculated back to the turbo inlet and not to atmosphere. Basically the ecu has already metered the air and is expecting it go back into the manifold so you'll be running rich if anything. I've got the same car and was advised not to fit a dump valve for this reason. That's my 2p worth! Enjoy the car!

• Like 1