Covert to LPG

timmy

Hi everyone still loving my outback

People don't know what's under the lid having great fun in sport mode

But to get serious costing a bit in refilling with Arab juice

Would it be worth it to change to LPG I travell about 100 miles per week to work

Anybody had experience with LPG

Cheers

Timmy

I have had a lot of experience with Scoobs and LPG.

First thing to mention is this. Do the maths and see how long you need to keep the car before you break even. If it takes 2 years to break even but you normally only keep a car for 12 months, it's never going to be worth it. Only you can make that decision.

Onto the systems. I had a BRC multi point system but loads are available now that are compatible with the power. I had mine on a twin turbo Legacy with about 280bhp so they can cope with power.

With a Subaru, you will need to get a flash lube type system to fire some lube into the cylinders as LPG has no lubricants. Without it, you will get valve seat recession very quickly.

I had my tank in the spare wheel well so retained the boot capacity.

You will always lose a little bit of power when running on gas but not really enough to notice, and if you suddenly find you want a bit more power, flick the switch on the dash and away you go.

• Like 3

after you have done the maths then LPG is definitely an option. I have a 3.0rn automatic and will be doing it this year if all goes well, as i hope to run this car for many years to come. even though i don't use it for commuting and it is primarily a weekend holiday car, the maths works for me as long as the car runs for the next five years and i keep doing big runs. i was quoted 1500 pounds for an all singing dancing factory fit layout OEM system with a tank in the spare wheel well and a centre mounted inlet near the the tow bar.

mounting the gas inlet centrally at the rear of the car means you can fill up from either side more easily.

finally - you will probably know that LPG has much less harmful emissions than diesel and infact in singapore and hong kong all the taxis are required to run on LPG as the issue of smog and car pollution is a major issue there - and i believe london has missed a trick in not considering LPG as a way out of our own smog problem. 

• Like 1

I have had a lot of experience with Scoobs and LPG.

First thing to mention is this. Do the maths and see how long you need to keep the car before you break even. If it takes 2 years to break even but you normally only keep a car for 12 months, it's never going to be worth it. Only you can make that decision.

Onto the systems. I had a BRC multi point system but loads are available now that are compatible with the power. I had mine on a twin turbo Legacy with about 280bhp so they can cope with power.

With a Subaru, you will need to get a flash lube type system to fire some lube into the cylinders as LPG has no lubricants. Without it, you will get valve seat recession very quickly.

I had my tank in the spare wheel well so retained the boot capacity.

You will always lose a little bit of power when running on gas but not really enough to notice, and if you suddenly find you want a bit more power, flick the switch on the dash and away you go.

How many miles did you do after conversion?

I did about 70000 miles after the conversion with no ill effects attributable to the LPG.

During that time, I changed the turbos for larger ones, changed ecu and various other bits to increase power. I had the LPG ecu remapped to cope and it did happily.

Nice. I did investigate it seriously for a few months and I got to the point where I was going to get it installed but I was then convinced it shouldn't be done to a turbo.

Can I ask who you got to do the conversion and LPG remapping?

The conversion was done here : http://www.autotech-lpg.co.uk

I think. I know it was in that area and the website looks familiar but it was 7 years ago now. (Senior moment :))

The LPG ecu re map was done local by Gibbs automotive in Coventry.

I know of LPG kits fitted to Bentleys and Ferraris amongst other things so, I was quite happy having a turbo charged car converted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question please sir. Did your economy change from having the conversion? does it make it worse or better (Cant imagine it being better)

Its quite noticeably better, on a 2.5.I had a 98 OB done (£1`700) and it does truely make a difference, not as big a tank so you`ve less between fill-ups but if you intend to keep it a few years and can afford it its well worth it.

And I never noticed any drop in power at all.

• Like 1

hi

my experience is positive, but it is not installed on a subaru.
here in Italy LPG costs half of petrol, a big savings.
Italian in my club there are 2 people that are fitted with a lpg on subaru sti.
27000 km and no problem