Mystery ticking

oldmanscooby

1998 impreza non turbo looking into engine compartment engine ticking over mystery ticking around power steering pulley originally suspected alternator but ticking more to the left no oil leaks fan belt adjusted ok doesnt get any louder if you rev engine noticed left hand plug gap tops vibrating in direction of mystery ticking but right hand side not vibrating took left hand ones off individually and pushed down firm but there is minimum up down play on those on left engine not misfiring so caps must be well seated onto plugs any clues appreciated just came on about 100 miles into a 250 mile journey

=======================================================================================

UPDATE

Turned out both left hand plugs were a little loose

half a turn nipped up and clicking noise gone

=======================================================================================

I know it's a bit of a pain anyway you can get a recording of it we have another member with ticking too, but I think it will be just the normal sound or a bit of piston slap if you're not use to hearing it. Have you checked oil levels ?

check oil levels regularly especially after longer runs and dont burn oil

this ticking sound just appeared

not overly loud with bonnet closed more pronounced bonnet open

sounds like something touching but checked belt and seems ok only recently adjusted it

thought dry bearing on alternator or something

I wonder if one of the cambelt pulleys is wearing out. If it is, it normally means the belt is touching things it shouldn't and the edge wears down. The resulting powdered belt material makes it's way to the bottom of the belt covers. It may be worth taking off a belt cover or two to see if they are clean or full of black debris

I agree with Tlag then if it's just started I had a video somewhere of the sound  if I can find it I will post it again. I did post it for another member who said it sounded the same. 

UPDATE

======================================================================================================

turned out both left hand spark plugs were a little loose

half a turn nipped up ticking noise gone

didnt take the credit entirely

luckily in asda at 06 30 am this morning bumped into an old school mechanic who diagnosed problem

========================================================================================================

• Like 1

only strange thing is how two plugs came a tad loose on one side

sure cured the problem though

yesterday was first chance to give it some welly since owning it maybe just shakedown glitch but sorted so thanks for advice