Slightly erratic idle

Harryburgundy

Hi

The idle on my newly acquired 1996 2.0 Sport has started to idle slightly erratically. Normally it will sit around 700_800 but I noticed yesterday that on a few occasions it sat at 1200.

Despite it age the car is low mileage at 36k. Could it be something as simple as a return spring thats a bit dry? Just thinking out loud...I haven't got a clue :-)

Sorry mate should have just said you get used to just using abbreviations of the names just automaticly think people know what you mean :)

I'm not too sure on the size sorry and cleaning doesn't always help. Well I've had it before the MAF ( <I will use it now :) ) problem tried to clean the 1st one didn't help at all their very sensitive. If someone has used a filter like a K&N oiled reusable filter thats enough to kill one so if it is that check the air filter too. Anyway so I got a 2nd hand one of eBay same problem bought another dead MAF :( This was all without any ECU light on so was guessed. Bought another one not cheap :( and like magic it worked :)

Other things that can course it though is any split or broken lose pipes would need a water spray and carefully go around the rubber hoses. 

Spark Plugs and coil packs or the leads if they have gone will be rough idle too.

Nah...no need to apologise. its fun trying to work it out.

Well..wiring isn't easy to access...think the green ones were higher up the loom as I could just them.

These are the black ones I connected... do they look like the right ones?

Nothing on the dash so I guess the bulb is blown.

IMG_20140616_122426_zpskolcj1yl.jpg[/url

]

http://s911.photobucket.com/user/CarlTDavies/media/IMG_20140616_122409_zpsxbdnzqwu.jpg.html]IMG_20140616_122409_zpsxbdnzqwu.jpg

Thanks again matey. Yes, my cynical head did ask the question ' I wonder if the garage removed the bulb to conceal a fault? '

I will ask him on Wednesday when I see him, I read liars pretty well.

Anyway. Let's get to the bulbs.

As far as I can see the plastic casing holding a few switches is held on by four screws. Unbolt, pull back, undo switches and pull off ( although I do have an aftermarket cobra immobiliser there which I am keen not to disturb)

Them another four bolts to remove the instrument cluster. I am guessing the speedo is cable? What happens next I am not sure

I also had this problem.

is the MAF sensor.

carefully reading it wrong sends incorrect information to the ECU. you could have a rich or lean fuel mixture.

in 10 years I have changed maf sensor 7.

I now have a racing ECU that has been permanently deleted

• Like 1

Yes mate its pretty easy to get the speedo cluster out. On'y problem you might have is the length :unsure: ...... of the wire  :)

Just unclips from the top might be 3 if memory serves me right, and then removes easy enough all being well. 

I also had this problem.

is the MAF sensor.

carefully reading it wrong sends incorrect information to the ECU. you could have a rich or lean fuel mixture.

in 10 years I have changed maf sensor 7.

I now have a racing ECU that has been permanently deleted

Thanks for your reply...jeez, 7 times!

Not sure what they are called but if I remember and get chance can post a picture of one from a new age if you like. 

Hi,ate...that's okay, just want to but some before I pull stuff apart. Must be a part number? Are there expolded diagrams with part number anywhere?

I think these are the ones I will try check for sure. Some of them have like a silicone rubber condom thing that goes over them just use the old ones should fit fine 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-of-24-Wedge-Base-161-bulbs-BEST-OFFER-/321321656598?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4ad0436116

Thats american by the way just used it to show you.