Hello. Looking to stick around but also need advice on first Subaru purchase.

Hello,

Excited to join the forum. Had a good look around for hours last night and it seems like a great place. Based in Glasgow. Looking at getting my first Subaru. Just turned 25 and been driving boring cars (1.2 Corsa, 1.4 Fiesta, 1.4 Corsa) for the last 8 years. Looking for a car I can love and look after and enjoy for the next 8 years. I'm a bit of a gear nerd when it comes to my job and computing so I figured that can transfer over to my car as well.

I sometimes end up having to transport small amounts of equipment for work (sound engineer) so looking for something with a big boot. Love the look of the Impreza Wagons however I've not really got into cars in the past (went down the computer building and repair route) but I'd like to. Was hoping for some advice with buying my first Subaru and then looking after it. I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty.

I've got my eye on a few different cars so far. Would this be the best place to post links for advice?

Thanks!

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Glad to see you have been having a look around and liked what you see, I'm sure you can see we're easy going bunch. And we have a few of us on here that enjoy the computer side of things too so should fit right in welcome and advice or tips on repairs :) 

Bit of bed time reading here to start with. Just a few tips that people have added to with things to look for :) 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

Cheers mate.

Thanks for the link. All good to know.

I'm looking at 2 turbo 2000's at the moment.

Here: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405294575238/sort/default/usedcars/page/2/model/impreza/postcode/g429lh/transmission/manual/make/subaru/body-type/estate/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

and here: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405084049357/sort/default/usedcars/page/2/model/impreza/postcode/g429lh/transmission/manual/make/subaru/body-type/estate/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

Both look good in terms of bodywork and are within my budget. I like the style of those older models and I have looked around for any common faults with them and there doesn't seem to be anything major. My question is do those look like good deals to the more experienced eye? Is there any reason why I shouldn't look at the turbo 2000? Probably prefer the red colour but not too fussy.

Any help would be great. All a bit new to me.

Wotcha and welcome- echo what Gambit has said - in answer to your question nothing wrong with turbo 2000's check out what Matt is doing to his, a real beast on sensible money

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/5124-uk-v5-wagon/

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/6316-sti-wagon-spoiler/

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. Does it have to be an Impreza or would the Legacy estate twin turbo be in the running.

Same basic engine with two turbos instead of one and a whole lot bigger boot than an Impreza wagon. I know sound equipment can be quite big.

• Like 2

Thanks!

The Legacy could be in the running but I generally prefer the look of the Impreza. It was actually a guy I met with a japanese import legacy that made me start to think about getting one. The boots are massive but it's generally just cabling that we've forgotten to put in the truck that gets chucked in the car so it's not too bad. My focus has been doing the job to a certain extent and I think the Impreza would be enough to make a difference.

If I found a Legacy Twin turbo within budget that I like the look of then I'd consider it. I'll have a look around and see what comes up.

• Like 1

I think the legacy would be better for bigger mileage they can come trimmed with a higher spec interior, nicer place to be over distance, def worth testing back to back with a wagon

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Had a look at a few legacy's. Most where way out of my budget or white (which isn't really for me). Think I still prefer the look of the Impreza overall but what you've said is useful to keep in mind especially if the mileage and comfort are significantly different. I'll keep on it. I'm not in any rush so I don't mind waiting for a deal. Still got my run around in the mean time.