Post '06 Forester Performance

blackgnat

I've been really enjoying my 55 plate XT for the last 3 years. Bullet proof and entertaining all in one. The mileage is getting higher and higher and I'd like a newer Forester but I see the performance drops in newer models. I guess that was required to meet environmental targets but can anyone give advice on restoring the potential performance of the 2.5 in the newer models. Any recommended chips? 

• Like 1

Ha I get mixed up with facelifted Foresters - I've put a photo up to my profile of the lass. Yes I think thats a facelifted 55 ?

Its been a fab motor - up and down motorways during the week and then eating up forest tracks at the weekend. I bought it with just over 50k on the clock. 60+k in 3 years and all its needed is a couple of drop links, 2 new wheel bearings and a new exhaust. That was the fun bit - never been so excited buying an exhaust in my life. I need to change timing belt but if I'm gonna trade it in in next 6 mnths maybe not.

Was looking at 08/09s as possible next car. I prefer the looks of the older model and defo the performance. Shame they dampened the acceleration of the newer models. Would be tempted to get newer model as long as I can restore the need for speed with a wee chip modification. I love the look of the beemer drivers when they can't shake off the strange red rectangle staring at them in their rear view :)

• Like 1

The newer cars are massive compared to the 1st & 2nd gen cars. More weight and associated bobbins to lug round. As for performance restoration it's the same engine as used in the newer imprezas so a whole world of performance upgrades is just waiting to tempt you out of all your hard earned.

://www.ecutek.com/Products/Trade/ProECU-Tuning-Suites/Subaru-Tuning-Suites.aspx

About £400 for proper job from decent independent using quality Blue Print or ICP-Dayco kit with genuine Japanese bearing idlers/tensioner & top quality water pump plus OEM crank seal.

Do it right you do it once, nothing worse than coming back in 3 months as old water pump starts leaking so you got buy pump anyway plus pay to strip all down again :-S or worse pump pulley/bearing fails :-S

Same with crank seal.like extra £10 charge while doing cambelt or pay £80 have it done later.

Heading towards a grand at the dealers :-O totally ridiculous but keeps me in work i suppose !

Independent charge is pretty good for possibly another hassle free 40K+miles in your old but trusty Fozzy.

If she runs sweet & in real good order keep her as new stuff ain't a patch on the older cars ...

to honest if you make effort with servicing with quality parts & quality oils you should get more than 2yrs without major hassle.

I got an old legacy that now almost at 170K & had very little problems with it & it been used hard, My father used it for forestry work & towing a trailer for many year & then used as general work horse & it still drives good today, looks rather tatty but damn reliable.

I had 11 yrs of Alfa Romeos before I opted for a big change with this Forester. You can guess the Subaru reliability still astounds me after 3 years compared to those Alfas as much as I loved them too. Its going to be difficult to trust any other manufacturer from now on. Saying that I saw an LPG converted Cayenne for a good price t'other day - don't worry I've already talked myself out of that option!

In my opinion a good serviced Japanese plant built Subaru is bang for buck the most reliable car you can buy. they make even likes of VW, Merc & BMW look shabby based on a comparison 175000mile model from each manufacturer.

My family members on Subarus have super cheap service/maintenance costs & none in 20years have had a breakdown.

Next door neighbours of my Father are amazed at his all year round hassle free motoring in his tatty Legacy while there family 207 & company VW get an AA visit at least annually plus plenty of trips to local garages for niggly faults :-)

The downside is the newer models are not going live up to the above & unfortunately the diesel engine is a bit of a lemon :-( hurts me to say that as I really was looking forward to a boxer diesel :'(

• 2 weeks later...