Speedo removal from a classic dash

So I have a couple of bulbs gone in my clocks and its really annoying me. I've just tried removing the clocks, I can get the trim out and the clocks will move but I can't get the clocks to come out.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please???

So I have a couple of bulbs gone in my clocks and its really annoying me. I've just tried removing the clocks, I can get the trim out and the clocks will move but I can't get the clocks to come out.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please???

It's is quite a fidily job, if you have got the dash surround off, 4 screws 2 at the top 2 at the bottom. Disconnect all the plugs to the hazards, fogs, etc. When you have removed the surround, you need to remove the 4 brass coloured screws to free the binnacle from the dash itself. Then on the right is a large grey clip which connects the loom to the binnacle. This has a clip on the outside you need to lever up and then slide the connector towards the front of the car to remove it. Also on this side is a blue plug in to the back of the binnacle that needs to be removed. This is also a clip type, and can be awkward to remove.

Now you should be able to angle the binnacle to make room to remove the connect or the left, when this is done you now should be able to remove the speedo cable from the back of the binnacle. I always did this first by getting my hand up the back of the dash on the left hand side of the steering colum and feeling around for the speedo cable and pulling it off the back of the binnacle.

Hope this helps.

I have attached the workshop manual for the classic at the end of this thread http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/41-whats-your-audio-set-up-in-your-suburu/

unfortunately it's not complete but it's the only one I ever found.

The bit you want is page 536 it doesnt give to much info but it does have some pics.

• Like 2

Found this not sure if it will help

"No need to unplug the cluster just remove the top 2 screws from the cluster
surround and unclip from bottom and remove.
4 screws hold the cluster in
place. Once removed tip the cluster forward and pull towards you"

I was beaten to it :D

• Like 1

I must admit I tried that, as I had one bulb that was lose at the top in the middle and it was fine for the bulbs at the top. Bit more awkward to do the bulbs at the bottom, as you don't have a lot of play in the speedo, so you still have to disconnect the speedo cable to tilt the whole binnacle towards you.

Ive had to replace then binacle it self, then a while laterr decided to replaced all my dash bulbs with blue LEDs and then later again the dials with Lockwood silver dials, so I had taking the binnacle out down to a fine art. I also replaced my whole dash at one point due to bad bleaching where a cleaning product I used did some damage. That's was a mare of a job and gave me more cuts and scrapes than anything else I did on that car :D

• Like 2

Only car I took my speedo out in was the ST170 to put some plasma dials in worst thing I ever did in my life :) like you cuts and scratches all over got them fitted it had its own dimmer so I moved that through the dash and it snapped off £50 wasted :( and god knows how many hours messing about. ;)  followed by lots of colourful words.

Gentlemen, you guys are lengends!!! Clocks are finally out :) thank you   

personally I prefer God's amongst men... But that will do :lol:

And happy you got them removed finally ;)

I thought getting it was awkward, it's just taken an hour to get the cable back in!! Fiddly is an understatement but its all back together and working perfectly, cheers guys