FORESTER 2.5 XT 2008

stivvy39

I've just paid out  £2000, to replace two secondary air valves and pump, corroded thro' condensation, apparently and a replacement o/s mirror which decided to locate itself fore and aft each time on start up. I'm a tad miffed as the car has only done 50k. Be interested to hear if other Forester owners have experienced similar faults.

these valves are known issues but as yours is a 2008 it'm a bit confused as Subaru did modified them since 2007 due this corrosion problem. they made some parts from plastic to prevent corrosion.

now yours is a TX what means your ECU is programmable with the possibility to disable the dreaded valve codes and remove these valves all together to prevent any issues in the future.

this system is only used for about 40sec when starting from cold to inject air to warmup the cat quicker.

Very interesting, thank you. Could be worth checking date of manufacture ? Not an issue when we made enquiries before buying as it was our first Subaru. Other than this latest episode we are very pleased with the car, absolute joy to drive.

Dealership confirmed 2008 as date of manufacture but couldn't explain why these valves had been used nor could they confirm that the replacement units were the modified type ! I've tried contacting UK HO by email but not even had an acknowledgement. 

Mine's a 2007 2.5 XTEn , I haven't had the air valve problem (touch wood) but my n/s mirror does the 'spin all the way round' trick. A replacement is about 400 quid aparently

I took it apart but the mounting seems to be damaged so I just cut the wire to the motor - no more movement!

• 3 weeks later...

Recent discussion with SUBARU UK  there is no record of any issues with the secondary air valves so would appreciate confirmation of statement from BITMAN a few weeks ago that "this is a known issue for vehicles produced 2007 and earlier ". 

here you go; http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/secondary-air-valves-p2443-p2441-63347/ warning it's long with 98 replies have fun  :D

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/secondary-air-valve-issue-customer-rights-371970/

and uncle Google will bring up more posts from other forums around the world