Warning Lights

bjl

Help! Recently the check engine light, electronic handbrake & VDC warning lights came on on my 3 year old legacy estate. Cruise control & hand brke release stopped working. Been twice to local dealer who has been unable to fix it. he now thinks it's a glow plug although I have no trouble starting the car. Anyone have any ideas? Regards, BJL

Wotcha and welcome -

glow plugs are mass produced and the chances of one going down and engine not starting I would say is low - If it did it would very lumpy indeed

Any chance you could check the error codes that would probably narrow it down somewhat

On the invoice it says 1 fault P1380 Glow plug circuit.

They found a 50 amp fuse blown which was replaced, but when car was started from cold the fuse blew again. 

Glow plugs have to warm up and before the engine will start hence why you wait for the coil light to go out - this is done through a relay due to the amount of power required, given it has twice blown a 50 amp fuse on startup - no mean feat - I would say you have an earth and because the engine continues to run after startup which is when the relay cuts out I would say the earth is related to the relay

Just found another slightly different description

P1380 Glow Relay Circuit (Low)

my advice - you have an earth somewhere check the relay, all glow plugs and any connecting leads in the circuit for resistance to ground / earth they should all be high - you can do this with a multimeter

• Like 1