Drivetrain backlash

tuskar

Hi guys

Have an old 2001 legacy estate 2LNA,  I feel an excessive amount of backlash when going from over run to drive in all gears

.Replaced engine and gearbox mounts and no better.  Seems to be a lot of fore and aft  play in gearbox when vehicle is moved back and forward. Car has 120k miles

Any ideas please

Sounds to me me like internal wear in box

You want check this by turning prop by hand back & forth & you will feel & here where the excessive play.lash is.

Is possible changing oil to quality heavier oil such as 75-120 may help, some custom mix of 2 viscosity oils can also work to some extent to hide the problem & sometimes can do so for very long time.

If play/lash very severe then rebuld is likely needed. 120K is low for these sort of issues though but bad gear oil & driver who harsh with clutch & heavy towing can soon cause a lot of lash in a transmission.

Thanks for replies. 

First after further checks most of the play seems to be in front of gearbox , maybe front diff ? and can hear the knocking when pushed fore and aft while in gear.

Will try heavier oil as suggested.

Also have a spare gearbox with 70k only but that is a big job swapping and hoping its compatible too.

When driving on a  flat motorway feels more like I have a 4l v8 under bonnet as engine accelerator seems  to control car too sensitive like.???

Certainly will check pitch stop  Thanks Stanton .

There is a little play in front shafts coming out of diff. up/down not rotational  and not unlike my other subaru impreza

I took legacy car for a 120 mile trip  today and it has LITTLE  or NO backlash !!!      It is intermittent .

Can anyone make sense of this  please