Newbie looking for advice

robbie260

hi all

I have been looking at getting a subaru impreza and would like some advice on what i can expect to get for my budget. Actually geting the car is a a bit of a way off probally october next year. I will have a budget of around £2000 though this will have to include mot and service. Although i wolud like a WRX or turbo i dont belive this budget will strech to this, also dont think it is very practical as the only car i have driven since passing my test is a series land rover from the 1970's which can bearly do 55mph, (i dont have a total death wish) i will be twenty by the time i buy the car and will have had my licence for two years. Was thinking the GX sport would be a better bet. 

Hello welcome,

There are loads of cars out there ranging from complete lemons to some well kept examples, best bet is to just absorb as much info as possible and view lots just so you can gauge the market and what you can get.

Cars with loads of service history are obviously ones to go for as although they aren't super expensive to run and maintain you'll save yourself some money at the start, for instance if you bought something with no records of cambelts or a recent major service done it's going to set you back nearly 800 notes,

Your main hurdle will be you age with insurance, most companies will either laugh alot of charge you a couple of grand for the privilege of owning a turbo or wrx. Not sure how different a gx will come in at, being a 2.0l it could still be silly, maybe have a look at insuring it before buying.

thanks for the advice. i have talked with my current insurers and they are going to charge me an extra 1200 for the impreza if i keep my landy with them, its a lot compared to its insurance but no worse than any thing else for people my age. Strange thing is and i dont know how it works but the plain GX would be the most expensive for me to insure, :wacko:.

Imprezas are classed as performance cars even gx, I know since I was not able to get some insurance companies to even quote me as I have not owned it for at least a year. And I had 6 clean years with full ncd, you can expect yo pay a big premium for first year and hugely drop once you owned it for at least a year.

• 2 weeks later...