noobie advice

sykes

hey guys first time impreza owner and also my first ever turbo car, so I would just like some help/advice on my 06 wrx

1. Been told I can't just switch my car off after driving as I need to cool the turbo down first

2. Been told they have a smart alternator, what does that mean

3. On a standard engine is it best to keep the standard bov

4. How do I know what model I have as after market parts say fits gda gdb

any other advice would be great

Hello welcome,

Strictly not necessary to cool down as the turbo should be water and oil cooled, good practice to do it though, drive off boost for the last couple of miles and just let the car idle for a minute when you stop, let it all cool down,

No idea about the alternator, although I presume it just charges the Battery at required intervals as opposed to constantly.

Easiest way to buy stuff for your car will be by the nickname given to the front end, classic bugeye , blobeye hawkeye etc. I presume yours is a hawk ?

Bob's are a matter of preference some have problem with aftermarket ones other do not, I'd wait for someone with same car to give a more definitive answer

• Like 1

As said above mate, with new turbo engine cars the days of sitting to let it cool isn't important as it used to be but I have a turbo timer and will use it after some spirited driving or track day. But like Stants said just staying off boost before your going to turn the car off is fine. 

Bov some cars can have them others will maybe get a running issue I have found it's more of a problem with classics than the new age but isn't uncommon for a car to run badly with one from time to time. Both car in the garage have one one is standard and the other one is tuned both run fine with them on.

And I'd agree with stants on the Alternator will give the Battery more power when it needs it or something like that. I think it was Johnnyb (not seen him for awhile) said you need lights on or a Stereo to keep the Battery charged when driving it or the alternator seems to not power it enough. I had a problem with the blobeye had to keep my side lights on to keep the Battery charged otherwise it would only be putting out 11.5 when it should be 14 to put charge into the Battery. If that makes sense lol   

Change the Oil and the filter frequently. (I am doing this every 3-4K! ) Only use premium quality oil! ( Motul or other equivalent ) This is more important than the cooling.

Do not rev and floor the car until its properly warmed up. That distance for a turbocharged car is a bad joke ( from the warming point of view )

Do you have any gauges installed in your car? boost, oil tempretaure, oil pressure ?

• Like 1

hey guys first time impreza owner and also my first ever turbo car, so I would just like some help/advice on my 06 wrx

1. Been told I can't just switch my car off after driving as I need to cool the turbo down first

2. Been told they have a smart alternator, what does that mean

3. On a standard engine is it best to keep the standard bov

4. How do I know what model I have as after market parts say fits gda gdb

any other advice would be great

1) advice is to let it idle for a minnute after high speed driving. Eg above 50 mph.

2) yes anything after 03 will probably have smart charging alternator. They do not charge all the time and only come on when load is put on electric system Eg. A/c , headlights. Etc. Should have calcium Battery.

3) yes it is best to keep a standard bov or recirculating aftermarket one eg. Forge one

4) look at the VIN plate it will say it on there.

Hope it answers your questions.

cheers guys

as I haven't got the car yet as its in the body shop getting bumper fixed i cant tell you much more about the car it might have a standard boost gauge but i am planning on fitting boost and oil temp in a pod pillar i used to own an mr2 which was serviced every 6 months so the wrx will get the same treatment

so with me only doing short journeys its best to warm up the car and put a load on the electrical system ie put my lights on? 

But warming up before a spirited drive is a must :) but if you're just driving steady be fine to drive it I do like to let mine run a few minutes though. Maybe just an old habit but peace of mind :)

I'm the same. I always let it warm right up and even then give it more of a relaxed drive before engaging the "F###ing hell" system. When I finish I normally get all my bits together and if I'm using the boot get it all out while leaving it running as a cool down. Would you guys recommend a turbo timer instead? My old impreza had one that you could lock the car and it'd still run. It was linked to the handbrake so even if someone got in it the engine would cut out after handbrake was dropped.

10 mins warm upbefore I drive anywhere lol mainly cos I'm to paranoid of the piston slap let it settle into it's warm idle then away I go.

I've been tempted by a tt but like you say by the time you've got your stuff out the back it's a minute gone anyway. Save your cash I reckon