Strange looking sludge in overflow.

Scoobyghost

Today I had my radiator changed as the old one had a very small leak. It never leaked enough to notice a drop in coolant so I've never been worried about it running low. The old rad was completely rotten so it was a good thing I swapped it now. All topped up bled through and looking good on that front now I'm not sure if I didn't notice this before but there seems to be sludge in the overflow. Header tank is clean, no bubbles in overflow and oil cap doesn't have cottage cheese so I'm ruling out head gasket. My question basically is What is this stuff?? Maybe it's some old remnants of a kseal attempt?

Would do you guys think?[emoji54]

post-3548-142039177094_thumb.jpg

post-3548-142039193456_thumb.jpg

I'm going to say I've seen a few HG failure does look like a sign to me. But could have been just **** put in to stop the rad leak so don't panic just yet :D I'd see how it goes, from what you have said I Think you're ok  ;) 

Gambit I heard a mechanic tell someone about **** in the carb they asked how often they need to.

Mr B hopefully that's all it is so I've cleaned the overflow and I'll keep an eye on it to see if I get any more of the stuff.

What you see is normal in the bottom of the reservoir if its never had a coolant change for 7+ years. It's a combination of the older anti-freeze coming out of solution (water solvent) and a reaction with the aluminium. Its a kind of deposit. It's not usually any sort of radweld type stuff unless there was a major leak from the radiator itself which can force it into the reservoir also, but this stuff usually doesn't work for long because coolant systems these days are pressurised. Suggest to Drain it out as much as possible, put a hose on one end to blow it all through and then refill.

• Like 1