newbie seeks tuning advice

confusedbrog

First of all hi everyone, I'm not a subaru owner yet but I'm after a new car and the new wrx sti has made my short list. I think it's a great looking car and love the sound of the motor. The other cars I've considered are the new golf r and the bmw m235i which both end up quite a bit more expensive when you tick a few options even when I factor in the subaru thirst and high road tax it's still seems a good deal. The only problem is the subaru felt quick but not amazingly fast so I was wondering what mods you guys would recommend and how much would I have to spend to get an extra 40 or 50 bhp.

I've watched a few YouTube videos in the US of dyno runs where they are getting 260bhp out of a mapped car and they think this is great, am I missing something here or shouldn't these cars have more than this standard?

So would be good to hear what a few of you have done with your car's before I stick a deposit down as the wrx sti seems like a good deal to me at the minute.

hi  mate and welcome here, 260hp is a standard car. if you looking just for light mods then remap, air induction, exhaust would be first choices, just with these mods you should be getting closer to 300hp mark. Subarus would defo be a best choice :) i mean dont get me wrong all cars you said are great but subaru is a proper big boys toy :) second best choice is to join this forum and become part of 6star fraternity :) but whatever you go for enjoy :)

I've tried a lot of cars over the last 6 month and they've all had their good bits and bad bits. I do think the wrx sti is a great looking car and that's the first time I've thought that about a subaru since the hawkeye. It's got a great chassis and feels absolutely planted on the road I also think it's a lot of car for the money nowadays, I just thought they would have a bit more torque in the middle and wondered if there's a bit more power in that motor that could be freed up with just a remap.

Golf is 4wd and the bm is rwd, the golf is a very capable car it I vw after all so You get the usual niceties and a dsg box, like Steve says the power delivery in the subaru is decidedly old fashioned compared to the golf, as an everyday car the golf is something you can get in and go fast at any point.

The subaru is something you have to work to get the best out of the car and learn to enjoy, as it will feel a bit outdated compared to the golf.

As for the bm it's not a full fat m car but from what I've seen is brilliant it just doesn't stir up excitement.

If im not mistaken those other 2 cars are front wheel drive. Im afraid you cant exactly compare them to any subaru car. As to sti if you accelerated above 3,500 rpm you would get pushed into your seat even with stock 265 bhp.

The BMW is rear wheel drive. The figures quoted by manufacturers are usually in ps at the flywheel. A dyno is going to be at the wheels that's why it's a good bit lower. The US market also have the standard WRX model as well as the STI so it could have been one of those. The difference between the Subaru and the other 2 cars is put your foot down mid corner and the Subaru just grips while the other 2 will be flashing dashboard lights at you and reigning the power back. I do like the 2 series though.

The bmw is a nice car and sounds great although it does cheat by amplifying the engine sound through the speakers like a lot of the latest cars, it could also do with an LTD amd it ends up around £8th more than the subaru even when your sensible on the options. I'm going to think over this for the week but I'm swaying towards the subaru as I think it's the best value for money as a drivers car. It might lack some of the latest fancy gizmos you get on the German cars but it's got a well sorted chassis with no compromises and proper 4wd. It may lose out on the other cars on 0-60 by a small amount but as it could make that back up with an exhaust and remap and still be cheaper it doesn't seem worth worrying about. As I've already said I think the subaru is a great looking car and I don't think I'm going to get bored of it in a hurry if it's what I go for.