2005 3.0 outback offset question

david1972

Can someone please confirm for me once and for all what the standard offset is for OEM 17" wheels on my outback?

I've seen some sites quote 55 and others 48 and my owners manual doesn't tell me grrr. I've also seen wheels advertised that look to be the same as mine stating they are 48 [emoji54]

Thanks for any help and if you can quote your source of info that would be great.

Mr B - your normally very knowledgable in these areas? [emoji6]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Yeah I realised after I'd read the title hence why I deleted my post [emoji51]

Looks like it depends on what size and width your on as standard like you say there doesn't appear to be a concrete answer. I'd ring your dealer

The penny has just dropped - I'll have a look at my spare alloy in the boot at the weekend - it should have all the info I need stamped on the inside of the rim if what I've read is true.

Will post up the answer here for future reference for all in a day or two  :)

I know mate welcome to my world 17" may offer a bit more but trying to find a set of 16"s as like finding rocking horse !Removed!.

Have a look for vag group wheels as some of them share the same as ours if it's only for winter may not matter

• Like 1

There's a set on the bay quite local to me at the minute which have winter rubber on, but the profile is 50 compared to the 55s on mine. Equates to over 4% diff in rolling circumf which is more than recommended which is a bit of a bugger. Would you let it stop you?

It's only just over 3% circumference difference actually, having had some time to look this afternoon. The only consequence seems to be the diameter will be slightly smaller so the overall gearing of the car will be lower - i.e. higher revs for a given speed and possibly higher fuel consumption and brisker acceleration at the expense of top speed.

Lower profile tyres may also give a slightly harsher ride and the car will sit around 10mm lower.

Have to say I'm not really that put off after all - I'd obviously go back to 55 profile winters when the time came to renew them, but they have about 5mm left on them so good for at least one, if not two winters yet......hmmmmm

It's only just over 3% circumference difference actually, having had some time to look this afternoon. The only consequence seems to be the diameter will be slightly smaller so the overall gearing of the car will be lower - i.e. higher revs for a given speed and possibly higher fuel consumption and brisker acceleration at the expense of top speed.

Lower profile tyres may also give a slightly harsher ride and the car will sit around 10mm lower.

Have to say I'm not really that put off after all - I'd obviously go back to 55 profile winters when the time came to renew them, but they have about 5mm left on them so good for at least one, if not two winters yet......hmmmmm

Too late; they've gone now

• 4 months later...