Check Engine Light On

modelman99

Hi All,

The engine light on my 2002 2.0 (Non-Turbo) came on yesterday, would the most likely culprit be the O2 sensor? Is there any way to get the fault code without taking it to a main agent?? If I decide to swap the sensor myself then any advice on how to replace it would be appreciated - I haven't even tried to look for it on the car yet!!

Thanks in advance for any advice given,

Tony

No should see them mate. But you might have a later one that uses the obd2 so won't have the cable's I'm not sure when the forester changed over. I know the impeza changed over early 2001. So if it is a later one with obd2 eBay for a obdII blue tooth dongle and the app is the only way. Cheap way anyway be less than £12 at a guess. I have ghe app and dongle works welk and clears codes.

OBD2 dongles are cheap I bought 2 before xmas on auction from HongKong at £3.08 each.

couple of links below but not as cheap as fixed price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-Car-OBD-OBD2-OBDII-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-code-reader-Scanner-Tool-/261565896842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce68ad88a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM-327-Bluetooth-BT-OBD2-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-/221678007212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339d09f3ac

If you don't have an android phone I can link you to a PC diagnosyic sofware for a notebook.

Other option is using cable & the FreeSSM software which gives you close to main dealer  diagnostics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400786919123

You could also buy a autel reader which has handheld unit with lcd but they not so versitile.

Besides the CEL do you have any running symptoms ?

O2 sensor is quite easy remove but best do codes first as decent sensor not cheap.

Main thing with fitting is to not handle the sensor nose or use sealants on thread as these things could poison a sensor easliy.

Could even be broken sensor cable so check that should diagnostics be pointing to Lambda Sensor.

• Like 1

Nice one guys, just looked and have an OBD2 installed, i'll see what my mates diagnostics (Toyota main agent) throws up tomorrow, then i'll be back for more info if i get a code!!! 

Apart from the light, the car is running perfectly normally, i'm taking it steady accelerating just to be cautious.

I've had a quick look at the CAT and can see 2 sensors, am i correct in thinking that the foremost one actually feeds back and affects fuel mixture whereas the rear sensor monitors CAT function - I guess both could cause the CEL to illuminate?

Yes you got that right.

diagnostic code will highlight particular sensor.

With no other running faults it is likely a Lambda & the work in harsh conditions so never surprising after 13yrs use.

• Like 1

So we have a P0130 code -  Sensor 1, I guess that is the front sensor. Can anyone recommend any particular suppliers, my engine code is EJ201NXWAB, Gendan.co.uk have a direct replacement for £49.94 listing EJ201NX although stating 9/02 - 5/05 whereas mine is early 02...

• Like 1

Should be right, check it is a 4 wire sensor & if so I suspect that correct.

P013 codes always relate to first sensor.

Could try ICP (import car parts) if get stuck on your current supplier.

• Like 1