Forester 2010 D Clutch bite point

lmiller01

Hi there

I've just purchased a 2010 Forester from a Subura dealership and after a week of ownership I am really concerned about the bitting point on the clutch. I have to push the clutch pedal right into the carpet to engage first, and if I have used to car for a while there is a judder when driving off. Second gear is also a bit difficult to enguage but then the gear box seems fine one one the move.

It feels to me that the clutch is on it's way out, the car has only done 40k miles and there is no tow bar one the car. I have seen several articles on the web about clutch failure on the Forester and Outbacks.

Any one got any ideas and advise?  I am taking the car back to the dealer tomorrow for another fault (passenger side window fell out) so really not enjoying my Subaru ownership at the moment.

Regs

Laurie

Those diesels have been known have a few clutch issues although your dealer won't confirm that fact.

You should get it checked & if no improvement through adjustment or repairs to the pedal & clutch release system it may need new clutch & dual mass flywheel & that big money so best get them sort it under warranty & don't fall for any dealer fluff on it as expect you paid decent price from the dealer & to be honest the should be doing all this prior to sale.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I had the flywheel replaced under warranty, but unfortunately I has to pay for the clutch parts, but did only have to pay a penny for fitting them as obviously everything was already out of the car at that point.

So I do have a car that actually drives like a car now, although I am still not convinced that the car is 100% but I will cover that in another post.

Thanks for the response to my original post.

Laurie

• Like 1

I suppose it some sort of progress but as you bought it & complained about the fault within a week they should of done it %100 under mix of subaru warranty & the sale warranty.

Any dealer with half a brain would of known that clutch not right so putting it for sale like that is well out of order, I know subaru not keen on admitting the early diesels had clutch flywheel issues but reality is they did & they know all about it but like to fluff it all over :-S

Hope all is well though & you get a good run of reliability from the car.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have just bought 2011 forester xs sat nav plus with 26000 miles on clock, clutch bite point on boards but have tried three other foresters and all the same so was not that concerned as the gear changes were clean. After your dmf and clutch change where is the bite point now? I have three months warranty left on the car and will take it back if your bite point has improved post clutch change.

Regards Keith (hobgoblin)