Directions in the hunt for random noise

stants

Only really noticed a slightwhining noise recently as been getting used to the increased nvh from the new mounts and bushes,

Only happens when turning right at speed, and appears to come from the rear ? it may have been there all along and I'm just hearing it now as I'm not using the load cover.

Where do I start looking ?

I slackened off the rear wheels and had a look did back up and drove home, the sound comes from the left while turning right, seemed quieter, it may just be the shonky tyres i have on the rear, but will deffo try your advice Clive cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure mate, one looks like the tread pattern is less worn, they all need replacing at some point in the future anyway. Could have been the soggy strut and bad alignment fookin everything up

Stants, in case it's something you've not checked yet, look at the outside of the tyre because it will have an outside (for outer wall) and a direction arrow. This needs to be correct else the tyre will make a noise, and be unsafe. Also, see what rating (V, W, etc) the tyre has. If it's different from the opposing wheel's tyre on the same axle then it may cause squeaking too where the load is different across the axle.

Hi mate, yeah I checked for direction,they are some ditch finders on there anyway need to replace the full set at some point, one was repaired not long ago so maybe not balanced correctly? I'll have another look at the weekend

If one wheel is not balanced properly then you'd likely get steering wheel judder at about 60-70 mph. Another consideration is the wheel to hub being flat and clean. I usually smooth off both the back of the wheel and hub before putting some copper grease between the two when refitting. I've been told Toyo tyres are good presently, at about £85 per tyre.