All Season Tyres

In my usual, random way I've been looking at tyres again this evening for no real reason. It has LED me to ask this though:

All season tyres....a good idea or jack of all trades; master of none?

If anybody runs them routinely or has tried them, I'd be keen to hear your opinions please?

Thanks folks [emoji106]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Would save you buying separate winter and summer tyres and changing them over twice a year. Which is what I'm going to have to do shortly, as I don't fancy running my winters through the summer lol. Unless you had a different set of alloys the winters or summers ofcourse.

That came into my mind Tom...the cost of another set of ally's and rubber boots is making me think about all season tyres more seriously.

I found some with positive owner reviews on my tyres website for £61 a corner fitted....tempting to try a full set at that price when the time comes

I've a set of all season on at the moment, I can't really tell the difference as a, they've been on car since I got her. B, not driven awd cars before and c, I don't drive the car like my old rwd so not really a help.

In mud they seem to clear a little better and as for snow I couldn't tell you.

Problem I have is that pretty much all the recommended tyres Form mine are xl which tent to be m&s rated too. From what I can work out is that the compound is only slightly different to summer rubber but no where near as good as a dedicated winter compound.

As for wear I don't seem to stress them much and they haven't worn much at all, in fact they need changing due to age not wear

• Like 1

I need to replace all 4 this year so I'm looking for the usual brands. Somone posted about 16" all season tyres last night I think his review was good so I may look at getting them.

Unless I go up a rim size [emoji16]

I've a been offered a set in Peterborough for sixty quid same as mine, just not been able to get to them yet besides I'd like to go to 17's so I could upgrade brakes but seeing as mines not really putting massive power out my 2pots with better pads would be a more reasonable option on the wallet.

To be honest I've never run out of grip in the icy or muddy conditions, just about got rid of my understeer problems now too. So I'd be happy with another set of all season ones.

When we had the bad snow a few years back I drove the mx5 7 miles in 8" deep stuff. It was only the front of the car acting as a scoop that stopped me.

Too many people see snow and goo arrgh I'm stick it in 1st and floor it. They need more education about how to drive.

Bit off topic there sorry !

I don't need tyres just yet mate, so no. I'm probably going to need some in the autumn though so still weighing my options up really

• Like 1

I don't need tyres just yet mate, so no. I'm probably going to need some in the autumn though so still weighing my options up really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah that's miles away... cross that bridge when you get to it lol..

I use all seasons permanently on my works van. As you said yourself, they are a jack of all trades master of none. They are a good improvement over summers on mud or snow, but they'll only help so much. I've still managed to get the van stuck in places I didn't expect (that's when the snow chains come out). I often have to get my !Removed! heavy transit connect up gravel tracks, fields and generally poor roads. If I still had summers on, I would be walking a lot more.

If you're not doing much 'off roading' then I would recommend you stick to summers and just take extra care in the 1.5 days of snow we get. I bought a full set for my STi this year and I've hardly used them at all.

Winter tyres have a different compound makeup, has more silica in I think to stop them doing hard in low temp conditions. Summer tyres are designed to work at +7° and above so they are made out of less silica. That's why if you use winters all year round you get high ware as the tread pattern is more squishy. M&s or all season tyres have a little bit more silica in but will still go hard in cold conditions

• Like 1

I personally think that's a bit of marketing BS by the industry. As long a you have a decent brand with decent tread to disperse water it will be fine all year round. Look at the good year eagle f1 as an example it's got a really good wet handling rating and I'm sure it's not gonna end up in a crash the first time you try and take a bend after the temp drops to 6°c. It seems to me like it's only over the last 4 or 5 years that the industry is trying to make us believe we need different tyres at different times of year, if you ask me if you don't live up a mountain it's a load of crap to make you part with your cash.

Don't mean to sound negative about it so I guess what I'm saying is its worth buying a good brand of tyre that's performed well in group tests as long as it's not too focused on being a fast road leaning towards a track tyre and has good tread and wet grip and decent tyre life

I personally think that's a bit of marketing BS by the industry. As long a you have a decent brand with decent tread to disperse water it will be fine all year round. Look at the good year eagle f1 as an example it's got a really good wet handling rating and I'm sure it's not gonna end up in a crash the first time you try and take a bend after the temp drops to 6°c. It seems to me like it's only over the last 4 or 5 years that the industry is trying to make us believe we need different tyres at different times of year, if you ask me if you don't live up a mountain it's a load of crap to make you part with your cash.

Don't mean to sound negative about it so I guess what I'm saying is its worth buying a good brand of tyre that's performed well in group tests as long as it's not too focused on being a fast road leaning towards a track tyre and has good tread and wet grip and decent tyre life

I find that anyone who starts going on about 'industry marketing BS' hasn't tried the tyres, or hasn't tried them under the correct conditions. My POS van wouldn't get to half of the places it does with factory tyres on.

I'll throw this article into the mix, may be worth investagating http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/michelin-ends-winter-tyres-debate/31793

From what I can tell, these will go on sale here in May.

Can imagine they'll be quite pricey, but we'll see soon I guess. I won't need tyres until the end of the year so got a bit of time on my side