Power limit of STI vs WRX (Sharkeye)

Xander

Hi Guys,

I currently have a WRX Sharkeye hatch and am starting to looking into a few power mods. As a standard car its putting out around 230BHP and from what I can tell with a filter, exhaust and remap for 97ron should be able to get to 260-280BHP. 

Thats about the limit of what I can do without replacing turbos, injectors and getting into a more serous level of tuning. Basically giving it the PPP treatment myself.

My question is are the STI's limited to about the same 30-50BHP gain with similar mods? or would you expect to be able to get more than 330-350 BHP?

I am working out how much its worth spending on my WRX before I just give up and spend the extra 5-6k on an STI or if I get mine close to STI power levels I might just keep it for ever as I think changing the turbo and a few other mods would get it into the 300 club I hope.

Just working things out in my head. I can not afford to change the car anytime soon and have only just got it but I want to work out a budget for mods and dont want to spend money chasing power I could simply get cheaper from selling and upgrading in a years time.

Thanks

Alex

Sorry if a daft question but new to subaru and am loving every second so far.

with a standard Shark STI you are looking at around 296bhp do the PPP mods as you describe and that will take it to a conservative 326-330 bhp.

However what you get with the STI vs WRX are chassis changes and 6 speed gearbox. The wheel bearings and hubs are bigger and lighter designed to handle the heat from heavy braking.

IMO complete the mods you plan and look at changing the car in a couple of years

What I dont know with the WRX is the state of the internal components, if they would take the potential 300bhp you fancy - the STI has forged pistons,

with a standard Shark STI you are looking at around 296bhp do the PPP mods as you describe and that will take it to a conservative 326-330 bhp.

However what you get with the STI vs WRX are chassis changes and 6 speed gearbox. The wheel bearings and hubs are bigger and lighter designed to handle the heat from heavy braking.

IMO complete the mods you plan and look at changing the car in a couple of years

What I dont know with the WRX is the state of the internal components, if they would take the potential 300bhp you fancy - the STI has forged pistons,

Thank you. That's helpful. Long as I know it's not worth chasing the big numbers in a wrx I can be happy to add a little power for now, not spending loads and upgrade to a sti in a few years when I have the funds as it sounds like a better car not just a body kit and more power.

Thanks

Alex

--

I make Films and Website for people

Sounds like a plan - The only thing I would look at, other than the mods you have suggested, with the WRX is possibly an STI spoiler on the hatch

http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/5268/1416/seibon_oem_style_carbon_fibre_rear_spoiler_for_2008_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti