hawkeye WRX- are these standard ?

I was under the impression that the standard 06 hawkeye came with vented disc brakes as standard ?

Looks like i have standard disc brakes, if i wanted to change these what ones should i go for ? i also want to change the brakes themselves are these ok or should i swap them for upgraded versions ?

I want to know if i do swap them do i need to change my wheels ( i know the upgraded ones are wider )

)

94F95303-C951-480F-AECB-BCF51047F83D_zps

Vented discs means they have a gap in the middle so from that angle they could be vented or solid you can not see

Solid_vs_Vented_zps5uggiojf.jpg

WRT the upgrade - what is you budget as the upgrades vary in price and spec but if I remember correctly to go the STI route will require new hubs and bearings as they are larger so you are potentially looking at WRX specific fitments - for a simpler approach but potentially you still have a wide choice

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_286&osCsid=tvb0qpa29cq7pc1dimatio9tj4

I can vouch for Black Diamond discs and have used EBC pads - there is another thread on here discussing EBC pads and I know brake discs have been discussed.

Are your discs worn at the moment?

If not what I would suggest is replace the standard hoses with braided items and a full flush through with Dot5.1 fluid

I can vouch for Black Diamond discs and have used EBC pads - there is another thread on here discussing EBC pads and I know brake discs have been discussed.

Are your discs worn at the moment?

If not what I would suggest is replace the standard hoses with braided items and a full flush through with Dot5.1 fluid

do you mean branded ? What are they ?

No they are not worn, just changing for looks

No braided, instead of just being rubber hoses they have a rubber core but a stainless steel braid around teh outside - this stops expansion / swelling of the hose when braking - older hoses are prone to do that. Just to be clear there is nothing wrong with OEM hoses when new but they tend to be expensive to replace so many opt for the aftermarket option. If you replaced trhe hoses you would get increased feel over the older OEM items and they will be less prone to brake fade under repeated use.

If it is purely for looks I would see if these are an option for your model

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=378

Oh i see now i will have a look tonight to see if they are vented

wow that's very expensive

I was thinking of just changing the disc,

I was thinking of a much cheaper option like one of these below :

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=37_293&osCsid=tvb0qpa29cq7pc1dimatio9tj4

You'll need to do the pads if you do the discs as the surface of the old pads will be contoured to the old discs, so your breaking at best will be compromised due to the faces of pad and disc not sitting flush
  • Like 1