anyone use a forester as a family car?

nitro12

everytime i come on this website i want one more, I'm on the look out but a decent example of the mk1 (sf?) is hard to find anywhere near me, its really frustrating haha, in your honest opinion is there anything there not good at?

If you can afford one of the new diesels then I would say Go For It

If not be very careful what you buy. The 2.5 XT is a wonderful car but very hard on petrol. Not sure about the 2 litre so someone else who owns one might help you there. I Also you have to watch out to see that it has a good service record -very important. Check that the timing belt has been done-very expensive job. And, the Achilles heel of the Forester =Head gasket trouble.  Try get one with low miles and a very good service record, otherwise its buyer beware.

And regarding space --my 2.5 Xt could never be described as being spacious. Fair enough theres room in the back compartment/boot for some stuff but they are tight enough inside if theres 3 people in the back.

Just my experience from having owned one for 9 years and dont be put off from buying a good one if you see it for sale.

Rusty

i was thinking about gettting the older 2.0 turbo, mainly because i prefer the looks of it inside and out, and I'm a mechanic by trade so hopefully should be able to sort any issues out myself :-) I've never worked on one in the 8 years I've been working which i take as a good sign, to be honest my minds fairly made up about getting one just hoping i haven't overlooked anything that'll make it a bad decision, i shall be straight on here to let you all know if i ever manage to get one lol

the sf is absolute superb . far better built & far better looking than sg sh models .

find one with sensible mileage & good history & you will be more than happy . very easy work on too .

cam belts are not that expensive & head gasket more a concern of 2.5l engine.

^ great versatile classic & should be useful in Cumbria .

turbo model & sport model sf generally easier find in better condition but could take a while. I always keep an eye open in my area for good sf's & they don't crop up often but are a great buy when do & super easy sell on plus a pre 2000 model saves you around £50 on road tax which not a bad thing :-)

My kids have pretty much grown up now and we very rarely go anywhere as a five these days, but thinking back about trying to fit a double buggy and associated luggage into some of the cars we have owned probably explains my bad back. Wish foresters were available as a choice to me back in the mid nineties.

But I still get plenty of use out of mine i.e. dogs, garden centres, tool carrying going to the tip and when you put your foot down can't help but get some joy.